630 Super or 266SE, which should I build?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got these two sitting on my bench, 630 is a 90, 266 is an 83. The 630 runs good, but came to me with the threads for the clutch broken off and some parts robbed from it. So it needs, clutch, drum, oil pump, air filter, air filter cover, and of course a crank.
The 266 has good compression, needs thread repair for one muffler stud, muffler, ignition, and a top handle. Both need a chainbrake.

I'm leaning towards completing the 266 now, and maybe doing the 630 down the road, what do you guys think?

Nobodies biting on this one.....so I'll take a shot......of course I would say....."Go Red".....but these are two way different saws built on the same basic frame. The 630 being 61cc or so and the 266 being 67cc or so...I guess it would have more to do with the saws purpose......are you cutting 16-20" or 24+ wood? The 630 is a way good saw but so is the 266...

Threads broken off the clutch on the 630?......now is this a coarse thread clutch?......the best clutch arrangement is the fine thread clutch. The coarse thread clutches are hard to come by in good condition......fine thread ones are everywhere....so no complete opinions....need more info......gut says "Go Red"......

I'm partial to the 630.... But you are closer to build the husky. So build the husky first then do the jred. They are a very good saw. But crank info is needed like cantdog says.

This is more just for fun than anything, and I will probably sell it after I run a few tanks through it, which is why I am leaning towards building the 266, as I have a running 266 and my 365 already, I am thinking I want to port the 630 and make it a keeper, but I'm in no rush to have another saw for myself.

I guess I wasn't quite clear enough, I have no idea which thread the clutch was, the end of the crank is gone. I'm thinking someone tried to rattle the clutch off with a good air gun, and didn't know it was LH thread.
IMG_0405.JPG

I won't be selling anything as is that I can find parts for at this point in time, tinkering with this stuff, sleds and atv's is what is keeping this now stay at home dad sane, and the firewood saw market is quite strong locally.
I can easily get 350 out of a 266, the local dealer always has a refurbed one on the shelf for $399. No offense intended to anyone on that, just selling locally means I can better support my CAD.

I can understand that is it a old two piece ignition on the 630? If so its good chance its a coarse thread crank.

266 is a really fine saw. I just got a 630 and haven't had time to put it in wood yet, but it handles about the same. I'd do the 266 first.

Btw- I'm jealous.

Going to get into the 266 this afternoon after I get my neighbors saw up and running for him. It's an early, non chain brake 162. From what he described its just a fuel line and maybe a carb kit, but the sawdust packed around the flywheel makes it look like it hasn't been cleaned in 20 years.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Going to get into the 266 this afternoon after I get my neighbors saw up and running for him. It's an early, non chain brake 162. From what he described its just a fuel line and maybe a carb kit, but the sawdust packed around the flywheel makes it look like it hasn't been cleaned in 20 years.

Lots of older saws are like that (and some newer ones), as the owners never heard about maintenance before the saw puked on them...

Btw, please get rid of the tapatalk and phone reference - it is annoying on any forum.

Fuel line, idle set screw, and a fuel tank cap, and a good 15 minutes cleaning and it is good to go. At least; unlike most homeowner saws I see, he actually knows how to get a chain sharp.

Sorry about that, it annoys me to no end as well. I recently had to switch back to my old phone, must be a device based setting, I'll kill it.

The 266 needs a larger carb (HS-224, or an adapted one with a 17.5 mm venturi) to perform as the later (post about mid 1985) ones, unless a previous owner have been nice enough to fix that.

I would try to to repair the 630,a better saw in several ways. Some of the Husky and Jonsered cranks were the same,of course some were coarse thread some fine,but I think if you take the crank and clutch from the Husky they will fit in the Jonny-red fine. The 630 was an excellent saw and had a better cylinder design than the Husky,also the rubber mounted carb did not suffer from vapour lock on hot days.

Latest posts

Back