64 years old TD14 dozer still pulling the Giant logs. Unbelievable......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Much of the old machinery ends up at the scrap yard unfortunately, there is just a few people with enough interest to keep a few things like old tractors in complete units. We had a neighbor that ran a sort of parts yard, any old machines sort of ended up there if it could be dragged or trailered it was fair game for him , he sold parts but kep a select few as complete units. There was dozens of old tractors in the mix, many with steel wheels. Up here many suffered cracked blocks from water being left in them when the early winters freeze hit.

Many of the old Cats were pony start but the IH were not. Think about how far we have come. I went to look at a old D8 years back. The guy was going to start it but I told him not to. The thought of hand cranking a pony engine did not appeal to me. As for cable they were the standard for years. We never had a cable dozer though.
I had old D8 2U I hand started the motor a few times, it had an electric start on the pony but when the battery died due to non-use, I hand started it. Actual it wasn't that bad to hand start the Diesel motor with starting fluid. But that pony motor sucked... plain worn out. I spend more time getting that pony motor running, the diesel motor start-up easily. I could coast start that cat in the length of its tracks. I pull that pony motor and build an electric starter adapter from big chuck of alum. Offset the starter on Concentric from the boss I machine to fit the old pony motor Bendix bore in the bell housing. Use MT50 starter and installed big truck batteries. Rotated the starter assemble until I got the back lash on the gear... drilled thru the bell housing and bolted it. That was the best thing I ever did to that old cat.... Ya that old iron can pull a lot. I pushed over lot big firs with that cat. It had a good carriage 75% miss that old cat sold it bought it to clear my place and build my place.

I too am castigated from the virtual world by my inept computer savvy. One of these days "MAYBE"
I am on the computer tonight. I just looked back at the post I typed from my phone last night. For gosh darn sakes that thing auto-UNcorrected my post to look like I am an idiot. As some know I am have been on a long hiatus from the real world due to my past drinking. If you read that post I made you would think I am back on the sauce. I will assure you I am not. Stupid technology.............

It is a wonder anyone who ran the old crawlers for a living had any hearing left. Our TD9 was just a straight pipe like most. I remember as a kid being at a auction with my father when they were selling a old AC HD series dozer. It was a old one and I remember it was orange although I am not sure they were ever orange from the factory. In any event they fired it up when they went to sell it. I looked at Dad and said buy that, it is 10 times quieter than the IH. He agreed but did not buy it. Now you can sit in the cab of a modern machine and nearly hear a pin drop.

Speaking of Fordson tractors there is a auction this Saturday about 20 miles from me with 2 on it
I kinda want to go see if the one I seen is still available need to be completely gone through and a few new parts. My biggest problem with buying it is I live in the middle of a city and only have so much backyard.

Neither of these two run. One is a 1918 and one is 1921. As nuts as prices are it will be interesting. That reminds me I need to get my proxibid account updated so I can bid. I will be cutting Saturday so I will not attend

If anyone is interested here is a link to the auction https://easterniowaauction.com/?page_id=19

This is a link to the small portion that will be on proxibid https://www.proxibid.com/Eastern-Iowa-Auction-Co/Spring-Farm-Equipment-Sale/event-catalog/217002

We will see how wrong I am but even as nuts as current prices are I do not see the Fordson tractors bringing much. Right now the older heavy iron (tractors) is selling cheap. The stuff that is going nuts is the "muscle tractors" of the 1960 and 1970"s. Go take a look at the selling price of a IH1206 or worse yet a 1256. Heck even JD 4020's have faded in price compared to the "muscle tractor market". Take a look at publications like Heritage Iron and such. Big power is in demand. The sale tomarrow has a JD7520 on it. That thing could go as low as $7500 or hit the moon at $25,000. The problem is a good chunk of the stuff is on consignment and folks will plug it.

Now let's see how wrong I am right now the auction is 24 hours away from starting. I do not see the Fordsons hitting $3000. I think about $1400-$1900 will catch them

If anyone is interested here is a link to the auction https://easterniowaauction.com/?page_id=19

This is a link to the small portion that will be on proxibid https://www.proxibid.com/Eastern-Iowa-Auction-Co/Spring-Farm-Equipment-Sale/event-catalog/217002

We will see how wrong I am but even as nuts as current prices are I do not see the Fordson tractors bringing much. Right now the older heavy iron (tractors) is selling cheap. The stuff that is going nuts is the "muscle tractors" of the 1960 and 1970"s. Go take a look at the selling price of a IH1206 or worse yet a 1256. Heck even JD 4020's have faded in price compared to the "muscle tractor market". Take a look at publications like Heritage Iron and such. Big power is in demand. The sale tomarrow has a JD7520 on it. That thing could go as low as $7500 or hit the moon at $25,000. The problem is a good chunk of the stuff is on consignment and folks will plug it.

Now let's see how wrong I am right now the auction is 24 hours away from starting. I do not see the Fordsons hitting $3000. I think about $1400-$1900 will catch them
Ford n series tractors have come up a bit in my area people used to basically give them away running for like $500 now the cheapest ones are around $1200 to $1500 still a good work horse for small farms.

Ford n series tractors have come up a bit in my area people used to basically give them away running for like $500 now the cheapest ones are around $1200 to $1500 still a good work horse for small farms.
Not what I wanted to hear😭 I bought one for $500 in about 2012. I sold it in late 2017 and was tickled to get $600. Now I am looking for one. I had hoped the market was still soft. The night I got home back in December it was well past dark. My son dropped me off and he knew the first thing I would do was jump in the Mule and go looking around for my stuff. He said "Dad just so you know a lot of your stuff is gone and you will find some new stuff of mine, there are a couple Ford's and some others.". I was thinking "N" series. No it was a 8000 and 8600. He got them for less than what you say a "N" is bringing

Not what I wanted to hear😭 I bought one for $500 in about 2012. I sold it in late 2017 and was tickled to get $600. Now I am looking for one. I had hoped the market was still soft. The night I got home back in December it was well past dark. My son dropped me off and he knew the first thing I would do was jump in the Mule and go looking around for my stuff. He said "Dad just so you know a lot of your stuff is gone and you will find some new stuff of mine, there are a couple Ford's and some others.". I was thinking "N" series. No it was a 8000 and 8600. He got them for less than what you say a "N" is bringing
Those 2 fords would be $3000 plus here in their work clothes.

Those 2 fords would be $3000 plus here in their work clothes.
Are you talking about the Fordsons selling on Saturday? If so we will see what they are worth here in this area. Remember they are non runners. You can login to proxibid and watch/listen to them live when they sell. You can even bid. They are Lot 56 and 57 so they should sell at about 12:45. Right now they are at $700 and $750. Just since I started typing one jumped up $350. Of course I know no one will want them but if someone on here wanted them I could get them brought here for storage awaiting shipment. I am going to try to remember to watch them. The nature of that auction being consignment there is a huge amount of good desirable items that will never be available on the internet. I called the auctioneer Thursday about a planter trailer that was there but was not on proxibid. He said very simple it showed up late. They put the proxibid listing together awhile back and being a consignment auction probably 75% of the stuff will not be listed online because it came late. The vast majority that you see on the website is actually from a couple farmer closeouts that were arranged well in advance.

Are you talking about the Fordsons selling on Saturday? If so we will see what they are worth here in this area. Remember they are non runners. You can login to proxibid and watch/listen to them live when they sell. You can even bid. They are Lot 56 and 57 so they should sell at about 12:45. Right now they are at $700 and $750. Just since I started typing one jumped up $350. Of course I know no one will want them but if someone on here wanted them I could get them brought here for storage awaiting shipment. I am going to try to remember to watch them. The nature of that auction being consignment there is a huge amount of good desirable items that will never be available on the internet. I called the auctioneer Thursday about a planter trailer that was there but was not on proxibid. He said very simple it showed up late. They put the proxibid listing together awhile back and being a consignment auction probably 75% of the stuff will not be listed online because it came late. The vast majority that you see on the website is actually from a couple farmer closeouts that were arranged well in advance.
Was talking about the 8000 and 8600.

Was talking about the 8000 and 8600.
Well then I need to head up your direction then. The Fordsons are just minutes from selling, the 6000 was around $3600. There is a 4000 coming up later that will be probably about $3500. OH SHET I know the owners on the Fordsons

Back