660 Can't Dance!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bounty Hunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Good Day getting wood...we spotted a 100' tall Jeffery down, and got the whole thing...it hadn't shattered, it was laying on its broken branches 2 feet off the ground the entire length, like it was made for easy saw'in. :clap:
Starting at about 24 dia., we got tons of great rounds, with the 260 Pro limbing and 044 bucking rounds.

The trailer still had lots of room, so I broke out the 660 to cut some rounds off the 3' dia tree we have been getting wood from for weeks...nice big, but brutally heavy rounds.

After cutting a bunch of 'em, it was getting late, so I said "Let's quarter these things so we can carry them easier". Mrs. Bounty Hunter grabbed the 044, I already had the 660...we can make this interesting by racing the saws in quartering the rounds!

The muffler-modded 660 is a beast, with a newly sharpened chain it blasted through the cross-cuts like a light saber. I grinned a sidways grin of man that holds a royal flush when there's a pile a chips on the table...this is gonna be easy!

Now the 044 is no dog, muffler-modded too, new clutch, sproket and chain. It's always been the weapon of choice for noodling wood.

Mrs. Bounty Hunter fired her up, and I gave her a head-start to make sure she was dogged-in before starting the cut...so the saw dosen't pull the round over..."Good girl, you got it...Let's dance!"

I got the 660 up and started the noodle cut...got a few inches in, just below the top of the bar...and the noodles bound up. Great wads of noodles were stuck in the front and in the clutch cover, packing in around the clutch drum and bogging the saw down. "What the????"

I hit the chain brake, grab the wad of noodles and yank them out. Pull the packed-up mess in the cover, clear it all out, and snick the chain brake off.
"Okay...let's ROCK!"

Bite the wood again...same thing happens..."Ahhh NUTS!" :confused:

The chain boggs down, the cut above the bar is packed with noodles...it looks like it's growing a beard...hit the chain brake...pull the noodles out...:confused:

The race isn't going well...your Bounty Hunter is getting smoked...BY A GIRL!

Why should the 660 pack up with noodles, and the 044 just keep sling'in them out making a pile big enough to make 100 hamsters happy...Geez!

The covers look the same...what gives?

Any thoughts?

Bounty Hunter

Linda has privileges for an entire week!!!

Brad, that was funny man. I dig the way you tell your stories:cheers:

Fired up to hear you performed the muffler mods on the saws and that they are performing the way you want them to.

I don't think you can make noodles much faster than this 066. Are you running the factory chain catcher?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D5-nDxcJCNA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D5-nDxcJCNA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I always just held the powerhead back at least 2 or 3 inches from the wood, and never had problems with clogging. Got to give those noodles some room to clear.

The 660 and the 044 both run the stock chain catcher...and I was holding the powerhead back at least 6 inches...using a 36" bar to noodle an 18" thick round.
The only other difference I see is the 660 has big felling dawgs (inner and outer), while the 044 has small dawgs on the inner only...could that be the deal? There were wads of noodles in front of the powerhead, but the ones inside the cover were causing the saw to clog up and bog. Still, maybe the Dawgs were causing the noodles to get caught up in the cover????:confused:

Bounty Hunter

Last edited:
You need to put the saw up against the log and get rid of the stock chain catcher. You'll need those dawgs to mount the roller style chain catcher. If you have any problems then, just angel the bar a little more in the wood to shorten the noodles. It should clear fine as the video shows.

Back