660 dawgs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know where I can get a template to make my own dawgs (small or large) to fit my 441? It has the single small dawg right now, but I would like to change to duals. I dont care too much whether they are small or big.

Edit: Im thinking of trying to copy my 064 dawgs and see if I can make them fit the 441 right.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can get a template to make my own dawgs (small or large) to fit my 441? It has the single small dawg right now, but I would like to change to duals. I dont care too much whether they are small or big.

Edit: Im thinking of trying to copy my 064 dawgs and see if I can make them fit the 441 right.

Why not just run Stihl dogs? They work fine for me anyway. I use the bigger dogs on the 441 and the smaller dogs on the 361.

Last edited:

Send me a PM. if the dawgs off a 046 work i have them...and i have templates

Last edited:
I ordered a dual set of 5pt dawgs for my 372xp from bailey's...grab nice. I think i would have been just as fine gettin the 4pt dawgs b/c the 5 make the saw sit cockeyed on leval/solid floor, but nothing to loose sleep over....but now i need to order a longer bar to make the saw look better LOL

Gotta love them dawgs

This is a set I made for my 046.. the scale look is from the heat treatment..

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yes, those dawgs do look good! What did you use to cut them? Flowjet?:hmm3grin2orange: :chainsawguy:

Drilled holes not just the holes to mount them, but a holes in the bottom of each spike. After that I used a 41/2" angle grander with a cutoff wheel on it. Then I filed off all the burr's and last heat treated it in a coal furnace.
It took about 30-40mins.

Drilled holes not just the holes to mount them, but a holes in the bottom of each spike. After that I used a 41/2" angle grander with a cutoff wheel on it. Then I filed off all the burr's and last heat treated it in a coal furnace.
It took about 30-40mins.

heat treated how?

heat treated how?

I used a coal furnace, got it going nice and hot and put the dawgs in the coals in tell they where red/orange (When they where No longer magnetic) pulled them out and quenched them in water. You can go a step farther and reheat them to about 450, so they aren't so brittle.

I used a coal furnace, got it going nice and hot and put the dawgs in the coals in tell they where red/orange (When they where No longer magnetic) pulled them out and quenched them in water. You can go a step farther and reheat them to about 450, so they aren't so brittle.

What is the spec on the steel?

I am not to sure, (Mild steel) Its what I had so I used it.

Sorry to bring bad news, but if the steel was not 1045, 4140, or another alloy that contained sufficient carbon the "heat treat" did nothing. You can tell by filing it. If the file cuts it, then no hardening. You probably have A36 plate, roughly equal to 1018, not nearly enough carbon content to matter.

Sorry to bring bad news, but if the steel was not 1045, 4140, or another alloy that contained sufficient carbon the "heat treat" did nothing. You can tell by filing it. If the file cuts it, then no hardening. You probably have A36 plate, roughly equal to 1018, not nearly enough carbon content to matter.

I was thinking the same thing about the mild steel, but didn't say anything because can't you "case harden" mild steel by packing it in carbon during heat treating process. It will "draw" its carbon from the being packed in it.

At least that is what I was thinking but it's been about 10-12 years since I case hardened anything.

Wondering,

Sam

I was thinking the same thing about the mild steel, but didn't say anything because can't you "case harden" mild steel by packing it in carbon during heat treating process. It will "draw" its carbon from the being packed in it.

At least that is what I was thinking but it's been about 10-12 years since I case hardened anything.

Wondering,

Sam

Yeah I know, I was just having fun Making some spikes (to me its better then watching TV) it might be just me but after then did seemed stiffer. I do thing they would work fine if you watched how you used them.

I looked for a piece of ss but did find any that I wanted to cut up to make a set of spikes I really don't need..

I've heard of people heating the steel red hot then dropping it in used motor oil.

I'm no metallurgist so maybe someone here knows whether that may work?

When I contemplate making a set of dawgs.... I think of all the time it would take... The agony of getting it right.... The pleasure of making something... then I go to the Stihl dealer and buy them for about $13 a piece.

Now if you wanted something significantly different or on an obsolete saw, then I can see reason behind making your own set.

Yeah I know, I was just having fun Making some spikes (to me its better then watching TV) it might be just me but after then did seemed stiffer. I do thing they would work fine if you watched how you used them.

I looked for a piece of ss but did find any that I wanted to cut up to make a set of spikes I really don't need..

i have a piece of 1/8 or slightly thicker (don't know the gauge or alloy) stainless.
i would like to tackle an outer dawg for the 026....
but man that stainless is a bear to cut!!!
a metal blade in the jigsaw will hardly touch it. the angle grinder with thin cutting wheel cuts, but it eats wheels way fast.

any suggestions?

I've heard of people heating the steel red hot then dropping it in used motor oil.

I'm no metallurgist so maybe someone here knows whether that may work?

When I contemplate making a set of dawgs.... I think of all the time it would take... The agony of getting it right.... The pleasure of making something... then I go to the Stihl dealer and buy them for about $13 a piece.

Now if you wanted something significantly different or on an obsolete saw, then I can see reason behind making your own set.

The oil hardening will not work, unless it is a "oil hardening" type of steel, for instance it is designated like this O1 or O5. Then there is air hardened tool steel and it is A2 or A5 and so on.

I guess, I could look it up in my books or ask someone at the shop, but you can case harden mild steel, but it much be packed in carbon (if coal is the same I don't know) This is probably what is done with the felling dawgs. They are stamped out of mild steel or similiar fairly soft/cheap metal and then case hardened in mass quantities for very cheap.

Sam

Latest posts

Back