660 dawgs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt case hardening is sufficient. The correct alloy steel heat-treated appropriately will be both hard and tough... I know Stihl's bigger dogs are not just case hardened -they are tough to drill though - all the way...

I doubt case hardening is sufficient. The correct alloy steel heat-treated appropriately will be both hard and tough... I know Stihl's bigger dogs are not just case hardened -they are tough to drill though - all the way...

Lakeside, case hardening would/could easily be sufficient for this application. Case hardening is the cheapest method for mass hardening of sheet steel products, and you could easily case harden steel that is the thickness of the spikes and it would be incredible hard to drill through and very tough.

I seriously doubt they are using an expensive tool steel, and probably not 4140, because they are both relatively expensive compare to case hardening a cheaper steel and I can't think of any benefits they would possess over a case hardened steel in this application. The 4140 could be stamped then conveyored through flames and quenched in water easier than case hardening steel, but against it is a lot more expensive material, than case hardening regular steel, and I would seriously doubt they use 4140.

My opinion, it is a case hardened stamped steel product,

Sam

You might be correct..

Seem to me that case hardening without the correct annealing would be too brittle, but...

And at $13 msrp each.. Stihl has a lot of margin to put a few more pennies into the material!

You might be correct..

Seem to me that case hardening without the correct annealing would be too brittle, but...

And at $13 msrp each.. Stihl has a lot of margin to put a few more pennies into the material!

Correct you are, they would/could be too brittle if left as is after the initial hardening for some reason mid to low 60's Rockwell C comes to mind, but they can and do anneal or "draw" them back to a more livable temper. I would guess (I was a tool and die maker for several years and we still have a machine shop), that Stihl is making or having those spikes made for at or less than $.25 a piece depending on the quantities of course. They certainly are not spending over $1 a piece. That is the beauty of stampings large quantities and for cheap per unit.

I could be wrong, but I highly doubt they are using any better steel than what I have described because it would not benefit the end user in the least.

My opinion,

Sam

If production hardening is needed on a large scale, most industries use induction hardening of an alloy that allows it. Case hardening involves too much time and labor. Induction hardening allows a finished product in a matter of seconds, with no cleanup or waste.

If production hardening is needed on a large scale, most industries use induction hardening of an alloy that allows it. Case hardening involves too much time and labor. Induction hardening allows a finished product in a matter of seconds, with no cleanup or waste.

Yeah, this could be it is a lot more simple process than case hardening, 1000's of spikes at a time. But I have still seen where parts similiar in design and function were case hardened for cheap.

What steel do you think they use for this?

Sam

Yeah, this could be it is a lot more simple process than case hardening, 1000's of spikes at a time. But I have still seen where parts similiar in design and function were case hardened for cheap.

What steel do you think they use for this?

Sam

The great thing about case hardening is that you can do it to irregularly shaped parts made out of almost any alloy. Induction hardening requires that the induction coil be in close proximity to the area to be hardened. Iduction hardening requres .4% +/- carbon content to achieve hardness.

Do you guys know the part #s of the inter and outer dawgs for a 046, are the one in the pictures i posted right?

thanks, you guy are getting above my head, I am just sitting back on this one maybe I"ll learn a thing or two...

You guys get REP!!!!!

Yeah, you've got the right ones.

Mine actually say 1122/01 and 1122/06 but I think they are the same.

Do you guys know the part #s of the inter and outer dawgs for a 046, are the one in the pictures i posted right?

thanks, you guy are getting above my head, I am just sitting back on this one maybe I"ll learn a thing or two...

You guys get REP!!!!!

Same as your pics...

The INNER dog is 1122 664 0506

ThE OUTER dog is 1128 664 0501... NOT 1122....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back