660 mag dual port muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad the actual "saw shops" out here have them on the shelves. They'll install them and retune if'n ya need 'em to. PNW vs. the rest of you'se cats. :)

Gary

Yup, we're lucky. Maybe if the OP shops around a little he'll find that sometimes there's a huge difference between a "dealer" and a "saw shop"

When he finds a good saw shop the only thing the guy behind the counter will ask is "how many do you want?"

Actually when i asked my dealer about the dual port muffler they had never even heard of one.. guess thats what i get for picking a dealer on the famous "8-mile" in detroit.. They were very interested to see how it helps the performance of the saw and didnt hesitate to order it or comment on any sort of emmissions issues

The best way to deal with a dealer of unknown experience is go in with the part number in hand. I like to have my own IPL for the saw in question. If you have to have them look this up I think the old 066 came standard with the dual port cover or ask for a MS660 with the Australian muffler cover. It's not rocket science to change this out with the 4 torx head screws and someone on this site guessed that by addition of this cover, and with carb retuning, you gain between .5 and .8HP. I think the greatest benefit is the fact you get the hot exhaust out quicker and let the engine breath and run cooler and in my opinion that has to help with longevity.

Steve

A while back I asked a question in this thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=59011

The question was about the part number for the muffler with the large outlet, the one used before OSHA strangled the saw. No one seemed to know what the part number was.

After looking in the IPL I decided to order the whole assembly that included the dual port cover. I thought there might be a chance that they would match. The gamble paid off.

Part number 1122 140 0603 includes the large outlet muffler, the dual port casing, both spark screens, and the screw for the front screen.

A pic of the large outlet muffler

attachment.php

It would be great if Stihl would sell an MS660 Power Up kit, like this one:

attachment.php

Pictured are the:

Large outlet, dual port casing muffler (1122 140 0603)
Limiter caps (4203 121 2700)
Limiter cap puller (5910 890 4500)

When he finds a good saw shop the only thing the guy behind the counter will ask is "how many do you want?"

Same with bars and chains. The shop I go to has 16" to 36" ES bars hangin' on the wall. Roll after roll of saw chain as well. Heck... I don't even think they stock "safety chain"... :)

Gary

Latest posts

Back