660 oil problem seized chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny660

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Bought a "rebuilt" saw off ebay. Not something I usually do but it is what it is. Picked up a bar and chain and had it out this weekend. Seemed like it wasn't oiling much but I turned up the oiler and thought I had good oil. After a minute of cutting I was clearly wrong. The motor bogged down and I shut it off. The chain wouldn't move until it cooled down.

Pulled the bar and chain off and the oiler is pumping but the housing behind the plate is damaged and not making any kind of seal. I pulled the bar studs and filed the area flat but now when I run the saw the chain seems to be fine for a moment but then starts to bog and smoke even though it's wet with oil.

I contacted the seller about the saw (bought 90 days ago so we'll see) but did I toast the bar and chain? Or is it still not getting enough oil? It moves fine when it's cold but gets tight after 15 seconds or so of running.

Jim, I are you talking about the bearing behind the clutch? I thought that was only in use when the clutch was not engaged?

Pulled it apart again and I think the leading edge of the chain links are burred.

The sprocket is fine. The chain was brand new. I have pictures of everything before the filing. The filing was requested by the ebay seller. All documented through eBay correspondence. I took off about 15 thou.

More wondering about why it is still seizing after I think I've fixed the oil problem.

What info do you need? The chain was brand new before I ran it without enough oil. I'm guessing I'm going to need a new chain. Should I replace the bar too? Do you think I still have an oil problem? I get spray off the end of the chain but it still starts to seize up after a few seconds of running.

The oiler was always fine. It's the gap between the saw case and bar that was the problem. Here are the pics of that before I flattened the case. I’ll take a picture of the chain and sprocket in the morning.

FCE879DB-FBF8-4663-9DC4-E535C4CD9081.jpeg 7CBF64CE-A395-48F4-8956-21EA586471D8.jpeg 85B086FE-5AA5-4291-B290-2E45E4317763.jpeg FE9560C0-9CA4-49F7-BCD9-E310D2878588.jpeg

I shouldn’t have said the sprocket is fine. I should have said the sprocket was fine. It didn’t have a shiny spot on it and looked brand new. I’ll take a picture of the chain and sprocket. Maybe that’s fubar too. Thanks!

You know of course that there is a sprocket that drives and another in the end of the bar (on most bars) and that they MUST be the same as the pitch of the chain. The gauge of the chain must match the bar also. I think you have plenty of oil.

I'm an idiot... Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys! I order the chain and bar when I ordered the saw and the ad clearly states 3/8 pitch drive sprocket. I meant to double check when it came in but I didn't use the saw for 3 months and must have forgotten. I'm going to see if the guy is willing to split the cost of the chain and sprocket with me since he said it was 3/8. I think the bar took minimal damage I hope.

Back