660 or 070 for milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Austreng

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the milling process and I'm wondering wich saw would be better for milling a 660 or 070 Hozlfform? All information welcome thanks.

The cheapest one. They are both dependable in general.
Although I think the 660 might be more a bucking saw, than a general pupose beast.
The other thing swinging towards the 070 is you can upgrade the top end to a 090 if I believe.
Parts might be cheaper for a 660, and maintanance easier.
2 against 2 ; )

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

I run a ported 660/ 36" cannon bar with Stihl picco chain for milling right now that works like butter in anything in the 30" range( I want a nice 880/090 for a 60" bar eventually!- when I find the right saw)

I run a ported 660/ 36" cannon bar with Stihl picco chain for milling right now that works like butter in anything in the 30" range( I want a nice 880/090 for a 60" bar eventually!- when I find the right saw)

I would say the 660 just because I like more modern saws than antique ones, and you can't refuel the 070 with it on it's side in the middle of s cut.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I think you can re-fuel but not add chain oil. It does have a huge oil tank.

Thanks for the info and opinions guys! I went with the 660 and purchased the big bore kit right away. I’ve got a few logs I can’t wait to mill laying in the snow. I’m looking at bars currently any recommendations? The cannon bars have my interest but a bit pricey.

im not going to lie, i got the holzforma or however its spelt bar and chain when i got the g660 and im very impressed with it they claim the chains are made in germany and they are an exact replica of a stihl chain i got the bar and chain combo with the intention of switching to a stihl chain until i used it ive milled some maple and oak and it holds an edge as well as any other chain havent hit anythimg to see if it has the strength of a stihl stamped chain yet though, begining to think huztl had made some sort of deal with stihl they makeing to many different copies of a stihl for them not to habe put a stop to it.. and for the price of what they selling the chains n bars for unless i need something right now ill probably always order from them.

We run cannon superbars, a 36" and 60". They are solid, way better than a stihl bar. Just remember to dress them regularly and they will last a long time.

Latest posts

Back