665A Upgrade Teeth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NORTREE

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone using different teeth on their Vermeer 665A? I have heard of people switching to the newer style Vermeer teeth. Anyone running Green teeth on one of these units? I have a 665A with the old style 1/2" x 1/2" teeth and a 222 with the newer style teeth.

I have both a 2004 sc252 and an older (not sure of age) 665a. I switched to greenteeth on both units and would never go back to the old style vermeer teeth. I have not tried the new yellow jacket teeth.

I run the red deep dish 1100 series on both machines. When I outfitted my 2004 sc252 with greenteeth back in 2005, the 1100 series is what they recommended. They now recommend the 700 series I believe (smaller tooth than the 1100). The smaller tooth would probably work better on the 252 machine but, I won't be switching anytime soon for a couple of reasons:

1) I don't want to spend another $400 to order the new 700 series pockets and teeth and,
2) when the 1100 series teeth go dull on my sc252, I put them on my 665a and use them until they're really really dull. I still get a lot of use out of them on my 665a (mine has the deutz diesel and plenty of snort).

So, by running the same size tooth and pocket on both machines, I only stock one size tooth and get plenty of use out of them before they go in the retipping or trash bin - whichever is applicable.

The 1100 series tooth has to be fairly sharp to work well on the sc252 so, I turn them or change them out as soon as they've rounded notably. I would not run that size tooth on the 252 if I did not have the 665a to put them on and use them up. It would be a waste. The smaller tooth would be the better option if all I had was the small machine.

I'm not sure what I would do if I was contemplating switching over both a smaller and a larger machine at the same time. Maybe, compromise and look into running a 900 series on both if that's feasible??? The yellowjacket on both machines might be a better option if you can use the same teeth and pockets on your 222 and 665a.

Also, you may want to consider the sandvik wheel. I've heard good things about those. I don't know if you can use the same teeth on both a 222 and 665a machine but it's worth checking out. I have heard that the initial sandvik setup is expensive though because you have to switch out the entire wheel whereas the greenteeth and yellowjacket setups would work on your existing wheels so long as they're still in good shape.

Good luck. I don't know about your 665a but, man, mine is a beast! I picked it up cheap, stuck a couple hundred into it, and paid for it within the first couple of months. The only problem I have with mine is that the engine slide doesn't work right so the cutter wheel doesn't completely stop when the slide cylinder operates. I just have to be careful about that. Now I just need to set mine up with a remote. Ahh, if only I had $3k sitting around... :monkey:

Latest posts

Back