6x10 or 6x12 dumper?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are going twin cylinder, get as many stages as possible. That is why I liked the Appalachian, they had three stage cylinders. The more stages, the closer they can move the base of the cylinders to the front.

Hi, My two cents worth, OK 36 cents worth, on the subject is basically that building trailers is a damn competitive business, you will get what you pay for.

A. Cheapo price equals somebody cut a corner or two or three.
B. Around these parts more of them rust away than are worn out. If your going to pull it on the salt pay close attention to what and how it is finished. Look UNDER it, many have no paint underneath, even brands with a decent reputation.
C. There is no better, quicker, higher capacity and cheaper hoist all combined in one except in Ad lore and dreams. Higher capacity equals more cubic inch displacement which equals slower lift given same pump. Myself I'd much rather have the hoist take another 15 seconds to raise than end up throwing half the load off so it can raise quicker? A properly made and spec'ed scissor hoist adds some stability to the bed, a twin cylinder adds none. This is only important when the dump site is not level, or when the load is not centered or when one side decides to come out easy while the other sticks in the bed. If properly spec'ed the scissor will dump same angle as a twin cylinder but cheapo builders use wrong (cheaper) spec and get less dumping angle.
D. Some cheapo dump trailers are not legally lighted nor do the have the required reflector tape. This is not important,, until DOT decides to mess with you.
F. Brakes are same as lights and tape, not important,,, until some chick on the phone pulls out in front of you. One axle brakes are for bean counters and ought to be outlawed IMO. A more or less unknown is there are also several brake types for each axle rating. The cheapo builders save 50 bucks per axle by using the cheapo brake kits but you have one half the stopping power.

Notice Cheaper and cheapo used a lot? LOL If your primary factor is price then expect that somewhere corners were cut and problems will surface.

10 or 12'? Is a toss up, as you said the 12 will pull nicer but in all truthfulness you can pile about all the weight you should be pulling on a 10' unless your hauling confetti. Low or hi bed? I like my high bed, I can pin the bottom of my tailgate and chain the top so the tailgate forms a ledge to grab the wood from when stacking. It also allows for better "piling"? when dumping a load as somebody else said. Low beds are nice if you want to use the trailer for a low boy. I have no such needs.

:msp_smile::msp_smile:ANY dump trailer beats not having one:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

Butch......you make a good point of the cheapo trailer. If you build then you already know that 2 Dexter, Alco or any other brand brake axles with wheels and tires cost almost as much as some folks sell a trailer for. I quite building in the early 80's. I would not care to try and balance the cost of undercarriage, steel, and labor in today's market. and try to sell it. It was hard it the seventies, but today, I don't think I could do it.

Trust me, I discovered long ago that if you’re buying something and plan to depend on it, day in and day out. One “should” absolutely get the best you can afford. It still may not be the best, but the best you can afford.

That’s why I want as many pros and cons on all types of dumpers, so I can decide on what would value me the most. Price doesn't always dictate quality, but it does in most cases.

I would rather wait and save a little more to get a better made longer lasting trailer.

You’ll notice my 16 footer is not a cheap trailer, I wanted one that would last me till I die! Spend a little more, and buy it once and be done with it.

Back