7/32 or 13/64

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverKing

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Having some trouble,wondering if I need a 7/32 or 13/64 file.For years I had never even heard of 13/64.I been looking at the boxes of Stihl chain I normally buy and they call for 13/64.But the teeth look the same as other chains that call for 7/32.Any way to tell just by looking if I need 7/32 or 13/64?Thanks for any advice

It's really a bit of preference.

The 13/64 file gives a bit more hook, which will perhaps give better or more aggressive performance, but perhaps also might wear out faster. I say perhaps because I have never seen hard numbers one way or another, and even trying both I haven't really found that much of a difference.

With some file guides I find the 7/32 doesn't make enough of a hook and winds up leaving the cutter sort of "open", especially if you look at it from the outside of the cutter. This is fixed by just making sure that your file is sitting as low as it can when you file, however.

As you wear the chain back the overall height of the cutters above the tie straps goes down. A lot of people make the argument that it makes more sense to use 13/64 later in the chain's life, when the cutter is shorter and may benefit more from a smaller file.

For Stihl chain, it is convenient to start with 13/64 when the chain is new. This gives more room to get the file into the small space in the gullet left by the automatic sharpening. Through the mid-life the 7/32 works. Near the end-life the 13/64 keeps the file off of the tie straps.

For Stihl chain, it is convenient to start with 13/64 when the chain is new. This gives more room to get the file into the small space in the gullet left by the automatic sharpening. Through the mid-life the 7/32 works. Near the end-life the 13/64 keeps the file off of the tie straps.
I agree . I also think a 13/64 file gives a faster cutting chain too atleast on semi chiesel chain.

I used to do it that way, but I found it even better to use 13/64 all the way, I think??

Not a biggie anyway! :smile2:

I have always used 7/32 but I I have a box of 13/64 on the way

Latest posts

Back