70cc+ saw opinions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, well, its your $$. My point is that a heavy powerful saw is less likely to get used than a lighter, powerful saw. Having been down that road, and now having a garage full of saws, the big one spends most of its time on a shelf lookin' pretty.

Well I guess that makes since. Thanks for the advice.

Adam

As I have said once or twice before I have more or less given my older 372 to my father-in-law. I just purchased a 371 as a project the other day, and I am also considering buying another larger saw. There are a few new saws that I want before the EPA has their way with them. Since they are not the cheapest things in the world I will most likely be buying a 346xp, 357xp, and one larger one.

I have been considering another 372xp. Since I now have the 371 to tinker with I have been considering looking at an even larger saw. I have looked at the possibility of either a 385xp or 390xp. Do I need a saw that large? No. Will I use it all that much? No. Would it be awesome to have? To each his own I guess.

Given my circumstances what would you all think would be the best choice?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

70cc+ saw opinions? Check out the 441 and 460, maybe a 440 if ya can find one. As mentioned, the 660 is a monster for big wood. Any of these would be a great choice.:clap:

How about a big bore kit and porting on that 371? It should have enough grunt without the extra weight.

I have already thought about doing a BB kit on the 371. It all depends on the shape of the p/c when it gets here. I am not sure what you are doing to me though. It is like you are trying to take away my excuse to purchase a bigger saw. :greenchainsaw:

Adam

Your going to have a nice 371 when your done rebuilding it so your set for a midrange saw. If you want a nice play saw or need to run 32" + bars get a 395 or 660. The heavier saws won't be your goto saw but you won't be leaving them behind when you go cutting and you could always borrow the 372xp from your father. Their is nothing quite like a 660 or 395 tearing up some hardwood, add a good 50cc saw and you can cut anything and no job would bee too big or small.

I recently just puchased a 395 before the epa screws them up any worse and I really love this saw so far. I can say it cuts a little stronger than my 7900 with a 28 inch on it but I think will hold a 36 a lot better. The 395 also balances much better with a longer bar than my 7900. My 359 is my limbing saw the 7900 is my go to saw and the 395 I have for the really big stuff. Dont let anybody tell you that you dont need a bigger saw will it get used much probably not will it put a big smile on your face when you run it YES.

Most likely, the biggest bar that I will be running will be a 28". I have considered the possibility of the 395. I am just not sure if the added cost is worth it for what I will be doing. I have used a buddies 385 and I loved it. I will say though, that other than that, I do not have a whole lot of experience with higher displacement saws.

As much as it pains me to say, I have also cosidered the 460. I think I will stay with Husky on this one but I wish I knew someone around me that has one I could run. I also wish that I had a dealer around me that was a little more resonable in their pricing. I want to support the local guy, but I am not sure it is worth $150.

So many choices, so little money.

Adam

Why not get a 28" bar and a few skip chains to run on the 371 or 372? Either one of those should not have a problem pulling a 28" skip chain, a muff mod would help even more.

Let me also add that I would really just like to buy another saw. I know I do not need it, but I sure do want it. :clap:

Adam

Let me also add that I would really just like to buy another saw. I know I do not need it, but I sure do want it. :clap:

Adam

In that case, since you have a 371 already, I think you should go for the Husky 390, and then cut some wood with it, take some in action pics, and tell us how great it is! Then we'll all want one too and the CAD chain will continue!:popcorn:

I don't know much about Husky so I went on their site to check out these saws. What's the difference between the xp, xpg, and xpw? :monkey:

Correct me if I am wrong but the xp is the standard pro model. Xpg has heated grips and the xpw had the full wrap bar.

Adam

In that case, since you have a 371 already, I think you should go for the Husky 390, and then cut some wood with it, take some in action pics, and tell us how great it is! Then we'll all want one too and the CAD chain will continue!:popcorn:

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me. Then as soon as I get a new one I can look at another members action photos and find out what else I want.

Adam

Correct me if I am wrong but the xp is the standard pro model. Xpg has heated grips and the xpw had the full wrap bar.

Adam

Correct, and add to that the 372xpw has 75cc's instead of the xp's 70cc's. I have one of each and the xpw does have a bit more torque. I do not believe that any of the other xp to xpw models have differing displacement, just the 372.

Thanks for all the opinions. It looks like, if I do not go with the 372, it will be a 385 or 390.

Adam

If you don't plan on using the big saw all of the time (like you said, just for stumps) You may want to consider going the used route. I picked up an 056AV Super that pulls a 36" bar with ease; it only comes out to do the stumps. You may even want to consider the 056 MagII, its a little more cc & there seems to be more of them floating around.

Back