70cc+ saw opinions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gafirefighter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As I have said once or twice before I have more or less given my older 372 to my father-in-law. I just purchased a 371 as a project the other day, and I am also considering buying another larger saw. There are a few new saws that I want before the EPA has their way with them. Since they are not the cheapest things in the world I will most likely be buying a 346xp, 357xp, and one larger one.

I have been considering another 372xp. Since I now have the 371 to tinker with I have been considering looking at an even larger saw. I have looked at the possibility of either a 385xp or 390xp. Do I need a saw that large? No. Will I use it all that much? No. Would it be awesome to have? To each his own I guess.

Given my circumstances what would you all think would be the best choice?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Myself... I like the 372's... the bigger ones (385 390) have their place... but will you really need a saw more than 70cc's? Prolly not.

Plus the 372XP is the best saw Husqvarna ever made... but that's me.

Gary

Myself... I like the 372's... the bigger ones (385 390) have their place... but will you really need a saw more than 70cc's? Prolly not.

Gary

Exactly - you hit it squarely......:agree2:

yes they would the 372 is a fine saw,but likes torque for tough stumps

372 and big stumps.....

I'm sure the 390 would be better for stumps, but do you really need it?? Not that need has anything to do with it; I'd love a 390:clap: . I've taken lots of big stumps - 4' plus with my 372 with no problems at all. It has plenty of grunt, usually with a 28" bar, but sometimes with a 32"!

Since I now have the 371 to tinker with I have been considering looking at an even larger saw. I have looked at the possibility of either a 385xp or 390xp. Do I need a saw that large? No. Will I use it all that much? No. Would it be awesome to have? To each his own I guess.

Given my circumstances what would you all think would be the best choice?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

How about a big bore kit and porting on that 371? It should have enough grunt without the extra weight.

I have an 066M as my big saw, but it rarely gets used due to its weight. I'm looking forward to putting the recently acquired 272xp into wood. Certainly it should be head and shoulders above my other saws, but at its least 3# lighter than the 066. 20" vs 25" as well should give the handling edge to the 272xp.

Gary[/QUOTE]

2100 might be my choice for that designation.

Get a mill it will give ya an excuse for a larger CC saw. My wife didn't bat an eye when I purchased an 066 w/ mill set up, since I'll be saving money buying lumber.
Need??? nope hadn't found anything I couldn't cut w/o the 066....but dang is it fun to rip into a 20" plus oak w/ that 28" bar and let that big dog eat!!!

Never had a need for the big cc saws... Even when doin' stump work, I like the 044's and the 372's...

Now my big cc Homelites (90+ cc's) from the 1960's and 1970's... well... those are a different story... LOL

Gary

How about a big bore kit and porting on that 371? It should have enough grunt without the extra weight.

I have already thought about doing a BB kit on the 371. It all depends on the shape of the p/c when it gets here. I am not sure what you are doing to me though. It is like you are trying to take away my excuse to purchase a bigger saw. :greenchainsaw:

Adam

I have already thought about doing a BB kit on the 371. It all depends on the shape of the p/c when it gets here. I am not sure what you are doing to me though. It is like you are trying to take away my excuse to purchase a bigger saw. :greenchainsaw:

Adam

Yeah, well, its your $$. My point is that a heavy powerful saw is less likely to get used than a lighter, powerful saw. Having been down that road, and now having a garage full of saws, the big one spends most of its time on a shelf lookin' pretty.

Latest posts

Back