70cc+ saw opinions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As soon as I get the funds in order I will get getting some big saw. I really do love your 395, but it may be just a little bigger then what I need for GA. I will give it quite a bit more thought before I jump though.

Then I can get the 346 and 357 and another project.

Maybe I will win the lottery soon and I can just buy 2 of each.

Adam

As soon as I get the funds in order I will get getting some big saw. I really do love your 395, but it may be just a little bigger then what I need for GA. I will give it quite a bit more thought before I jump though.

Then I can get the 346 and 357 and another project.

Maybe I will win the lottery soon and I can just buy 2 of each.

Adam

just bought myself a 390xp .. a frightening experience putting it through 20" hardwood. full chisel chain and it went through it so quick i thought i would hit the ground... timed it with my old stihl 08s (great reliable thumper of a friend) at about 30 secs.. the 390 took 7 secs!

if your buying now, the 390 is the way to go as it is the later model -the 395 is yet to be upgraded to my knowledge- yeah saws with this capacity are a bit heavier, but so what? put some extra muscle on at the same time.

i know this post is a bit late but it would be interesting to see what you did get and your thoughts.

I just cut up several large hardwood stumps with my 372 running skip on a 32" bar. It didn't have any problems with them. If I was cutting 30" lumber all day, I'd get something bigger, but I don't hesitate for one minute to sink the 372 with the 32" set-up at the stump and work my way up to the smaller lumber.

It's just a great, smooth, powerful, light, versatile saw.

For a saw over 70cc, I would put in a plug for the Dolmar 7900...

79cc, weight of a 65cc class saw, sold by several sponsors, lower cost than equivalent Husky / Stihl models, and definitely cuts in a hurry - what's not to like...

Gooserider

I ran a brandy new out of the box MS660 and 7900 at Erics GTG. I know they shouldn't be talked about in the same sentence and they are not supposed to be in the same class but I gotta tell ya, I much preferred the 7900. The 7900 is IMO a very good saw at a very good competitive price.

IMO, go with a dual port Stihl 460 or Dolmar 7900. The anti-vibe is better on the dolmar but the 460, IMO, is a better saw.

IMO, go with a dual port Stihl 460 or Dolmar 7900. The anti-vibe is better on the dolmar but the 460, IMO, is a better saw.
I can't remember for sure if it was a 440 or 460 we compared to the 7900 at the GTG but I do remember the 7900 was quite abit stronger. Maybe Eric will fine tune the details for me.

I can't remember for sure if it was a 440 or 460 we compared to the 7900 at the GTG but I do remember the 7900 was quite abit stronger. Maybe Eric will fine tune the details for me.

The 7900 should be more powerful than a 440 or 460, all ported and the odds are closer. The 7900 is just so hot right out of the box.:clap:

The 7900 should be more powerful than a 440 or 460, all ported and the odds are closer. The 7900 is just so hot right out of the box.:clap:

I guess that's why I like the 7900 so much. The 440/460 is more money out of the box and it still takes an extensive (and expensive) port job to get it to run close to the 7900. It's had to beat the 7900 for value and performance.

Very true but that package comes at a price. The "price" being very few dealers and most sticking to the big guns like Stihl and husky.

Of course if one has a reliable brand of saw, one doesn't need a dealer quite so badly....

(Ducking for cover....):check:

:poke:

Gooserider (couldn't resist the opening...)

Back