70e plastic flywheel, 3-D printable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OH BOY--OH BOY--OH BOY The cute little mail lady delivered them today:happybanana:

This site has some great, generous members. I asked a question and only 22 days later a re-designed and manufactured replacement part walks in the front door :bowdown: THANK YOU RICHARD
After a few minutes time with a scraper and scotchbrite pad its a perfect fit:yes:
Richard, the missing washer made the trip after all. It was riding on a flywheel magnet. And be looking for a thank-you package in the mail (hope you like pan cakes)

3-D printed flywheel fan 66e,70e 001.JPG 3-D printed flywheel fan 66e,70e 002.JPG

OH BOY--OH BOY--OH BOY The cute little mail lady delivered them today:happybanana:

This site has some great, generous members. I asked a question and only 22 days later a re-designed and manufactured replacement part walks in the front door :bowdown: THANK YOU RICHARD
After a few minutes time with a scraper and scotchbrite pad its a perfect fit:yes:
Richard, the missing washer made the trip after all. It was riding on a flywheel magnet. And be looking for a thank-you package in the mail (hope you like pan cakes)

View attachment 397688 View attachment 397689

Glad it works. I turned the posy office upsidedown looking for whatever fell. I thought it was a washer. Anyways you'll have to give some longevity updates. It passed the initial concern so you'll have a bunch of guys disappointed it didn't grenade in you the first 5 seconds.
Oh, and I do (actually my 2 1/2 year old and 9 month old) love pancakes.
Richard

Glad it works. I turned the posy office upsidedown looking for whatever fell. I thought it was a washer. Anyways you'll have to give some longevity updates. It passed the initial concern so you'll have a bunch of guys disappointed it didn't grenade in you the first 5 seconds.
Oh, and I do (actually my 2 1/2 year old and 9 month old) love pancakes.
Richard
if all works well,,seems you have a new business venture......................:clap::D

Cool. Keep in mind that making it thicker might not help it withstand high RPMs because more weight increases centrifugal forces.

Of course if it works relatively well you can always look into a 3D printer with higher accuracy. Or use Proto Labs.

Cool. Keep in mind that making it thicker might not help it withstand high RPMs because more weight increases centrifugal forces.

Of course if it works relatively well you can always look into a 3D printer with higher accuracy. Or use Proto Labs.
That's a good point. When I was designing it I kept thinking about the pictures woods works posted and it seems debris is a big issue so I made it thicker solely for that reason. Maybe revision 2 will be slightly thinner if the centrifugal force tears it apart.

That's a good point. When I was designing it I kept thinking about the pictures woods works posted and it seems debris is a big issue so I made it thicker solely for that reason. Maybe revision 2 will be slightly thinner if the centrifugal force tears it apart.
too bad,,that somehow,,metal fibers couldn't be imbedded as its printed,,not much weight, but high strength...

too bad,,that somehow,,metal fibers couldn't be imbedded as its printed,,not much weight, but high strength...
Donot think that embedding metal fibers would be a good idea. Much too difficult to control even embedding. How about making a fiber like structure (f.e. honeycomb) in the plastic. That would be easy enough to achieve additional strength.

I should clarify the reason for not planning to do much surface prep is I think the failure mode on this will be internal delamination not surface crack propagation. With that said I suppose it doesn't hurt to do the surface prep just in case the failure mode is a surface propagated crack.

Yeah the delamination question, was the first thing on my mind, But I'm talking about
when I first saw some working printers.
At That time;
I was thinking if you keep the filler hot enough to truly bond the last line under it,
Then how difficult is it to prevent the entire workpiece from sagging?
I realize that you can tweak the arrangement of how you build up the slices.

I used to be a slight bit experienced at shrinking or outright hiding "oopsies" holes in the occasional steel workpiece, bridging gaps, etc.
As a kid , fiddled with about any plastic that a large Weller soldering gun or wood burning pen could let me stitch or build up ( talk about some headaches)
but it realy handy for those lenses we were always popping on our bikes.
then there's soldering & braising too.

But I haven't had an opportunity to actuality be right there in the room with a printer and get a firsthand look.
Would be really nice to have temp gun along and just do some following
to see what the numbers could teach me.
There's a HackerSpace in town, that I'd like to join, That laser cutter would be flat out
awesome for making obsolete diaphragms and gaskets.
If you guys have never heard of them, You really owe it to yourselves to go look in on one, if there's a nicely set up one around.

Donot think that embedding metal fibers would be a good idea. Much too difficult to control even embedding. How about making a fiber like structure (f.e. honeycomb) in the plastic. That would be easy enough to achieve additional strength.

If you cut one of the ones I printed in half they are not solid but rather use a honeycomb infill technique.

Yeah the delamination question, was the first thing on my mind, But I'm talking about
when I first saw some working printers.
At That time;
I was thinking if you keep the filler hot enough to truly bond the last line under it,
Then how difficult is it to prevent the entire workpiece from sagging?
I realize that you can tweak the arrangement of how you build up the slices.

I used to be a slight bit experienced at shrinking or outright hiding "oopsies" holes in the occasional steel workpiece, bridging gaps, etc.
As a kid , fiddled with about any plastic that a large Weller soldering gun or wood burning pen could let me stitch or build up ( talk about some headaches)
but it realy handy for those lenses we were always popping on our bikes.
then there's soldering & braising too.

But I haven't had an opportunity to actuality be right there in the room with a printer and get a firsthand look.
Would be really nice to have temp gun along and just do some following
to see what the numbers could teach me.
There's a HackerSpace in town, that I'd like to join, That laser cutter would be flat out
awesome for making obsolete diaphragms and gaskets.
If you guys have never heard of them, You really owe it to yourselves to go look in on one, if there's a nicely set up one around.
For this print I set the plastic extruder to 230 C, which is well above ABS glass transition temperature so layer to layer adhesion shouldn't be a problem. The extruder uses a standard PID controller so the temperature doesn't vary by more than about 0.5C. My concern is when there is a geometry change, like from a straight wall to an angled support, that since 100% of the new layer isn't supported by a previous layer we could potentially have a delamination issue. I guess we will find out after some of the promised longevity testing is done.

Wow, I need at least 2 of these babies. keep us posted when you can sell some or put out a few more for r&d.

Back