72LGX chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Kidd

Where's Fish?
Reaction score
Who's ran this chain? I've found loops for $12.50. Seems like a steal compared to 33RS.

For oregon it's good chain. Definitely depends on what you're cutting. In my book oregon chain falls short of stihl...gets dull a bit quicker and then because it's soft when you hit things generally you lose more cutter. Never done any scientific about it but I find that my productivity with Stihl chain is maybe a tiny bit higher due to less frequent sharpenings, and life is a little better due to harder metal and less filing required to reach satisfactory sharpness.

For that price if you need chain I'd buy it and run it. When it's priced close to stihl I reach for stihl.

Oregon chain is a lot better than it used to be, from my experience. That's a good price.

I get along fine with the Oregon 3/8" LGX and no complaints. I also use Stihl RS and Oregon CL

I've run it and like it as much as the Stihl even though it's softer. At that price I'd take it over the $20 per loop for Stihl.

72LGX is excellent chain. It is the only full chisel chain I've used that has a hope of getting close to Stihl RSC.
I still rate RSC as a better chain all round but when you can get loops for that price grab them :)
Funnily enough I do not hold Oregon's semi chisel in the same high regard. I reckon it's crap.

It's all I use. I said it in another thread, I'll repeat it here. I cut nice clean hardwood. I prefer the Oregon to the Stihl because it's softer. I can touch it up real quick with a file and that's what I prefer.

I just searched for that chain in a reel. I got $270 for 100'. If I did everything correctly that's 11.85/ 72 links. So...that's barely making anything on a chain.

I just searched for that chain in a reel. I got $270 for 100'. If I did everything correctly that's 11.85/ 72 links. So...that's barely making anything on a chain.

Their trade price will be a lot less than $270 for 100' so they'll still be making OK money per loop.

Wow, figured that the price per reel couldn't come down that much from whatever they would sell it online.

You'll quite often see dealers lose money on items with eBay auctions which is why you never set your starting price less than your cost.
Right now I can get 100' of Carlton chain out of the US for not much over USD$200 per 100' off a fellow dealer. Freight however is a killer to Australia so by the time it arrives it isn't worth it.
I'm sure it would be the same worldwide but you also get further dealer discounts on bulk buys. For example if you buy 1000' instead of 100' you'll get another $30 odd off per roll.

Latest posts

Back