75' WH high ranger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishinfreak99

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
New guy to site here, but have a 1993 high ranger with a 75' working height and the hydraulic bucket level at the end of the boom is leaking fluid pretty bad. Haven't been in the bucket yet but using the lower controls after I fly the boom and put it back in the cradle, the bucket leaks down. I was wondering if that maybe would be just some rings or if it's a lot more involved than that. The fluid actually leaks out onto the back of the truck so I don't think it's a valve problem. Was also wanting to know how hard it is to change the safety switches on the out riggers. When I bought the bucket it wouldn't fly but just to test the boom I bypassed the switches. Like I said before just to fly the boom, not been in the bucket yet. Ant info or feed back would be greatly appreciated.

I have an altec am855 (not a high ranger). Anyway, I had oil leaking off the boom onto the cab & traced it to one of the many color coded hoses (low pressure) that had a split in it. had to remove all access covers to trace it down. In my case, it was a hose that controlled the boom up on the material handling winch (like a capstan winch). However, there are quite a few hoses running through the boom....friction or degradation may mean more leaks to come. By all means, don't fly in the bucket until all leaks and 'drifting' is fixed. Good luck! Man, I wish mine went 75'!!!~

Thanks for the input. I think that the leak is coming from the hydraulic tilt motor itself. I'm sure that I will have to remove the bucket and tear into that motor or what ever is in there. Would like too get it fixed so that I can use it. It's on a 1993 Oshkosh 6x6 truck, with a cummins and a Allison tranny.

I am not familiar with that boom. Most forestry booms use cables to keep the bucket level. If yours does have a hydraulic cylinder that levels, it might just need the cylinder seals replaced. Any hydraulic shop should be able to do it for you if your not comfortable doing it yourself. Can you post some pics of the truck and boom?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Don't have any pics at the moment. I'm working over seas at the moment and don't have any with me at this time.

Latest posts

Back