75ft elevator forestry truck stability?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

661Joe

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
As the title says I am looking for a new truck and I’m considering an elevator that is a teRex 60/70 so a working height of 75 foot. I work on some Slight slope terrain often and I’m just curious as to how the stability is compared to just a standard 50 foot truck. Both units were forestry trucks with only two outriggers. I’m sure there’s a bunch of people on here that use them. I’m just still trying to understand how moving the Turret up 10 feet doesn’t mess with the stability or rather it’s not enough to matter? Thanks for any input. Joe

We have a 60' and just purchased a 75' about 2 weeks ago. My main bucket operator is pushing 300 pounds and he loves them.

You have quite a heavy truck underneath it so as long as the outriggers are set properly it's quite stable. As with any bucket truck it's best to work directly in front or the rear and not to fully extend over the sides if at all possible.

I should qualify my statements in that I am a climber and personally almost never run our bucket trucks. There are other guys on here that are a lot more experienced in bucket work than me.

We have a 60' and just purchased a 75' about 2 weeks ago. My main bucket operator is pushing 300 pounds and he loves them.

You have quite a heavy truck underneath it so as long as the outriggers are set properly it's quite stable. As with any bucket truck it's best to work directly in front or the rear and not to fully extend over the sides if at all possible.

I should qualify my statements in that I am a climber and personally almost never run our bucket trucks. There are other guys on here that are a lot more experienced in bucket work than me.
Yeah I’ve had my truck in every combination possibly was always rock solid. It’s funny I started climbing and even tho it’s less work for the bucket I still find myself climbing unless I’ve already had a long morning. I’m just not sure on the two down rigger deal lol clearly there safe or they wouldn’t be used so widely.

Never used one with only 2 outriggers. My 100 ft has four outriggers and an elevator. It's as sturdy with the elevator up as it is down. I have seen pics where buckets with 2 outriggers has turned over towards the front but I don't know the story. May have went down in the mud or been bad unlevel to start with.

Never used one with only 2 outriggers. My 100 ft has four outriggers and an elevator. It's as sturdy with the elevator up as it is down. I have seen pics where buckets with 2 outriggers has turned over towards the front but I don't know the story. May have went down in the mud or been bad unlevel to start with.
Yeah your truck is not a forestry unit is it? I’ve seen the rear mount 75ft with four outriggers and I’m assuming your 100ft is a elevator from the cab to the rear of the truck if that makes sense.

It's a rear mount. When the elevator is up it's right behind the cab.

Attachments

• STE-1283i.JPG
    STE-1283i.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 1
Yeah that’s what I had thought I actually looked at a 105ft like that pretty fair price for the reach but now have to have a chip truck for the chipper. Forestry truck is a one man show if need be start to finish. That truck pretty solid ? Looks good

Yeah that’s the one thing that stopped me. But damn how sweet to have 100ft reach. My crane is 100ft I’d lose my **** if I had a bucket truck that big

Back