7900 needs TLC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WadePatton

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Found one right here at the pawn-shop in River City.

Bent bar, broken AV mount, no chain, worn sprocket, dusty, dirty, grimey, and dinged up some. But the asking price is $250. Oh yeah, it started 3rd pull.:blob2:

Any trouble putting an AV mount in?

$150 would still sound too high to me unless the pawn shop guy allowed me to tear the saw down so I could see inside. There's a good chance the guy pawning the saw knew it wasn't worth fixing and just 'sold' it to the pawn shop. I haven't had much luck straightening bars but other here may have a better technique.

The price seems a little high, but the damage to the saw sounds minor and easily repaired. There are several Dolmar dealers on here who should be in shortly and can get you the stuff you need.

Theoretically the bar could be straightened, and some have done so, but the cost of a new bar and chain is pretty cheap, so I would just throw a whole new bar, chain and sprocket on. That way, you know you are starting fresh, not with the abused worn out junk that it came with.

typically when I sell a used PS7900 the prices range from $250.00 - $490.00 depending on the shape. Any pics?? I have plenty of parts in stock. Which mount? typically they are around $9.00 ea. Bar and Chain combo $30.00-$60.00, rim sprockets $4.50 ea. sounds like a good fixer upper if that is all it needs.
Scott

I may get him to let me pull the muffler...but the more I look at it the less he's going to give on the price.

It started and ran good. But then, it's not even pulling a chain.

Pull-cord compression check is good too.

I would go get the saw and then take it to my local dealer 30 miles away, but he won't answer the phone. And I'd like to talk to him first about all the big used saws at his shop. I guess I'll just drive over there.

I think it's the rear mount. I figure the tree that bent the bar had something to do with the mount getting busted.

Bent bars can be considered JUNK pretty much 100% of the time. Unless you are into self-inflicted abuse, just figure on throwing it away and starting fresh. A new bar should pretty much 100% of the time be accompanied by a new sprocket and chain. Again, unless you don't use the saw much or don't care, why waste your time. Would you change the brakes on your car and only change one of the two pads if one still had a little life in it?

That said, if I were looking to buy a used saw with a bent bar then I would consider it as 'powerhead only' and not even bother attempting to use the bar and chain. Consider the cost of the new bar, chain and sprocket and subtract that from what the saw would be worth. Otherwise used saws tend to cost as much as (or more than) a new one. Pawnshops rarely have good deals.

most pawn shops around here and kansas city, want 80% of new saw price for a saw thats 80% warn out. 250.00 for a saw that cost 600.00 new is not a bad deal if it just needs a bar and chain and some minor parts .

look on ebay and you will see the resale on dolmar, husky, stihl,jonsereds, chainsaws are good . there is a reason for this.

slowsuki said:
look on ebay and you will see the resale on dolmar, husky, stihl,jonsereds, chainsaws are good . there is a reason for this.

While they hold their resale value due to their build quality, there are an awful lot of used saws (Stihls in particular) sold on there that go for more than they are really worth simply due to name and auction fever.

Auction Fever? Is that when you get all :blob2: in the last two minutes when all these new folks start running up the bid and all you want to do is win the dang auction --darn the dollars full speed ahead?!

Yeah, I've done that.

It's better when you are the seller and get to watch it on your own stuff.:D

Okay, I got it for $200 out the door. After popping the muffler and peeking at the piston.

GAWD IS IT NASTY! This has to have been a work saw--where the user was NOT the owner. Both rear AV mounts broken. Crud balls, ever seen them--rolled up by the air flow and trapped inside the case?

Lot of cleaning to do. Two mounts, bar/chain/sprocket, air filter, plug--then to make some dog bedding out of cedar--and notice how it runs before I carve that muff--do I hear 7HP?

Found out a member here is almost local to me-and is a Jonsered/Dolmar dealer. Fixed the AV's, bought a 20" bar and chain--talked about all that high-tech stuff. Thanks Ricky.

Starts and runs like a champ. Now to go stick it in some wood.;)

Crud in the carb. Then a big malfunction. :censored: :bang: :confused: :dizzy: I'll tell when I get that fixed up.

But it's getting really clean now.

Major oil pisser. Not sure if that's normal. Will research.

So the big F/U was sucking a piece of paper shop towel into the intake port. It wedged between the cylinder and piston and took up a few hours of daylight today getting it unstuck. Yes the piston jammed like all hell. :bang: :censored:

Eventually I got it out and cleaned everything up and stuck it all back together.

FINALLY got to stick it into a little hardwood. Well, not real hard, seasoned cherry---but I never burped, farted, or sputtered. Cut like a MOFO should.:blob2: :D

Now to slow down the "surplus" oil flow.

Latest posts

Back