8 Year-Old Dies in Lawnmower Accident

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoutmasterRick

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Update: 8 Year-Old Dies in Lawnmower Accident, Mother Hurt Traveling to Hospital

Staff Writer

8:50 PM CDT, April 20, 2010
Update: 8 Year-Old Dies in Lawnmower Accident, Mother Hurt Traveling to Hospital

GURLEY, AL - An 8 year-old boy was killed Tuesday afternoon in Madison County after being accidentally run over by his father's lawnmower.

Authorities say the unimaginable happened on Powell Street near Gurley just before 5 p.m. Tuesday. 8 year-old Shane Malone was reportedly at a neighbor's yard with his father when the accident happened. Neighbors tell WHNT News 19 that the father was helping his neighbor out with yard work. Investigators have yet to reveal details about how the accident specifically happened. Malone was pronounced dead at Huntsville Hospital.

"It's just a tremendous shock, I can't believe it happened," said neighbor J.D. Tillman. "I lost my wife two years ago to brain cancer, but to lose a baby, ugh, that's tough."

Others neighbors who declined to talk on camera say they were surprised by how long it took paramedics to arrive. Sheriff's investigators said those first responders arrived 17 minutes after the 911 call was placed. Investigators said the heavy traffic that time of day made responding more difficult.

Shane Malone is survived by his parents and three older siblings. Neighbors said he was a member of the Cub Scouts and enjoyed playing baseball and wrestling. The accident remains under investigation.

To make matters worse for the family, Shane's parents were involved in a car accident on the way to the hospital to see their son. Gina Malone, Shane's mom, was seriously hurt in the wreck. She is currently in surgical intensive care unit at Huntsville Hospital.

Link to Channel 19 news story.

thats the hardest thing about having children for me is not the diapers the money it costs or the being up all night. its the worrying about them being hurt when your not thier or something happening.

banhim.gif

Latest posts

Back