880 is hitting rev limiter at 10,800

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I didn't think rev limiter was to kick in until
about 12,000 and carb would keep it down
to about 11,500.

I could hear it hitting limiter, so I put the tach (EDT5)
on it and it's taching out around 10,800 rpm, warmed up.

Has Stihl changed the max rpm's on the 880?

Saw will be used 95% for milling...........maybe lower
rpm limit will be better for miling?

Gary

Last edited:
I am no Stihl afficionado, but I didn't think any of their PRO saws were limited?! Well, except for the older red lights.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Concern is if the EDT5 tach can read the rpm on a limited
coil. If it can, seems as if coil is kicking in at to low rpm.

But my main concern is if EDT5 can't read the limited coil, correct
then saw is running to lean and hitting limiter.

Gary

Gary, I don't think the EDT-5 reads the limited coils, tune it way rich and sneak up on the max and see what happens.

Gary, I don't think the EDT-5 reads the limited coils, tune it way rich and sneak up on the max and see what happens.

If EDT-5 won't read limited coils correct........then it is running lean.

But I would like to know for sure about the tach.....I have yet to turn
a screw on it. Not going to run saw any more until I find more about it.

I think you had to go with EDT-7 to read the limited coils but I'm not a 100% on this, I'll go down and get the info for my EDT-5 and let you know.
(if it says)

I think you had to go with EDT-7 to read the limited coils but I'm not a 100% on this, I'll go down and get the info for my EDT-5 and let you know.
(if it says)

I have EDT-5 manual.......it makes no mention of limited coils that I can see.

I believe my 880 is rev limited, but it tached at 12k at the dealer when I bought it (without a bar and chain). Mine taches around 11,6 with a bar and chain, not on limiter.

With my tachs, if I am getting a steady number then the saws are not on the limiter. ....e.g. My 3120 is limited at around 11.6, but it's hard to get a ready above around 11,3 because it starts reading nonsense once the coil cuts the spark.

Last edited:
Well that little post would have saved me a trip to the garage. :laugh:

Sorry....should have said I have EDT-5 manual.

I have been searching old tach threads,

Here is a quote from Lake.......don't know if he is talking about this
type of coil or not.

"The -7 and -8 were made to work with the newer ignitions systems"

My little Stihl tiller is limited, no load it hit's limiter hard.

Gary

The EDT-5, 7 and 8 will read everything your coil puts out, and that's part of the problem... when it limits it's garbage in, garbage out... What's your rpm in the cut? (duct tape the tach to the top of the saw).

As for your 880 limiting.. I'll check into it, but even at 10,800, that's way way higther then you will be cutting with, and has no effect whatsoever on the correct mixture setting, other then you ability to crudely set it with "wot" ... You will need to adjust it richer for milling...

Break it in before you worry about any of this... and before you use it for milling. I'm betting things will change as it breaks in..

I believe my 880 is rev limited, but it tached at 12k at the dealer when I bought it (without a bar and chain). Mine taches around 11,6 with a bar and chain, not on limiter.

With my tachs, if I am getting a steady number then the saws are not on the limiter. So I am guessing your is not coil limited at 10,8....My 3120 is limited at around 11.6, but it's hard to get a ready above around 11,3 because it starts reading nonsense once the coil cuts the spark.

I Maybe all wrong, but it sure don't sound like it's 4-stroking.

The EDT-5, 7 and 8 will read everything your coil puts out, and that's part of the problem... when it limits it's garbage in, garbage out... What's your rpm in the cut? (duct tape the tach to the top of the saw).

As for your 880 limiting.. I'll check into it, but even at 10,800, that's way way higther then you will be cutting with, and has no effect whatsoever on the correct mixture setting, other then you ability to crudely set it with "wot" ... You will need to adjust it richer for milling...

Break it in before you worry about any of this... and before you use it for milling. I'm betting things will change as it breaks in..

OK..........What would you set it for milling 10,000 or lower? (after it's broken in)

Many Thanks,
Gary

Last edited:
My second 084 was carb limited to about 10,500rpm and my first was just right at 12,500 rpm. I put an HT-1 tillotson on the second one (it already had the non limited coil) and was just right at 12,200. When I spoke with stihl about the carb limiting they said that it was on purpose and that it would not make any difference in the cut. I twas a safeguard against overspeeding.

Latest posts

Back