880 vs 3120 stock (YAEVTT)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
As some of you are (perhaps painfully) aware, I am in the throes of trying to decide to buy either a 880 or 3120 to run stock and run a 50 to 60 inch bar.

For less expensive saws I would either just buy one or both and decide for myself. With the expense of these saws and the commitment of long bars that doesn't work as well for me, given I won't use the saw much.

This post is a last ditch effort to see if I can get any feedback from folks that have run both saws stock in a fairly recently flavor. Lakeside says 880, as does Simonizer and another saw tech I talked to. The only person I that has posted he has run both recently back to back was bigjayfromwa, who bought both and feels the 3120 is stronger in the cut.

Anyone run both stock and have an opinion? I know it makes me a sissy, but I probably won't even muffler mod it because I don't like the extra volume.

At this point I am leaning toward the 880 because mechanically it has a better track record (and a HS screw), but bigjayofwa experience is not to be discounted either. Timberhauler posted he bought a 3120 and already had a 880, but I have not hear back from him on the subject.

I was hoping to hear some more opinions. Anyone?

I am guessing the reality is that both of these saws would work out fine, and just like the neverending 660 vs 395 comparison, it's all a matter of preference. In that specific case I solved the matter with one of each, but those I use alot so I am glad to have both.

Last edited:
Thats understandable since its such a large investment. You may want to try out Andy's 880 and possibly hook up with bigjayfromwa or someone else to try out a 3120. I assume it would be fairly hard for you to evaluate them fully unless they were setup on a mill.

Also I know Ultra has some 3120's, but I'm not sure if he has any 880's.

Thats understandable since its such a large investment. You may want to try out Andy's 880 and possibly hook up with bigjayfromwa or someone else to try out a 3120. I assume it would be fairly hard for you to evaluate them fully unless they were setup on a mill.

I do plan to check out Andy's 088 sometime soon. Actually I am not primarily buying to use with it a mill, just blocking out big wood. So I am after a nice flat powercurve with some grunt to keep the cut from stalling with a big bar.

I assume your looking at purchasing a new one?

Probably. I like to buy saws new and keep them forever, just suits my style. Also the IRS likes it better when you expense new equipment in terms of verifiable cost.

There are a couple 3120s newish but used out there that are good deals, but the big stihls seem to have tremendous resale value and I can get a relatively decent price on one locally new.

Last edited:

I have a 084 and two older 3120's.......Sold the newer 3120 because it was a mutt.......

I have a 084 and two older 3120's.......Sold the newer 3120 because it was a mutt.......

I agree the new 3120s are not the runners the old ones were but I also think that my 084 would out run any of them new or old... my new MS880 is not broke in yet and I think it would out run either of my 3120s, all saws are stock. But they all work great milling lumber,,,,,:chainsaw:

it's personnal choice.

i like the 3120 better but tey are both nice saws.i don't own either but use friends frequently.i like the 084 better than the 88.

i like the 3120 better but tey are both nice saws.i don't own either but use friends frequently.i like the 084 better than the 88.

The manual oiler override on the 084 is a nice feature I wish the 880 had but there are other things I like about the 880 over the 084

I use old 3120, 084 and ms 880. I have the 084 whit 25" and prefer it. Like the handle position more than 880 and 3120. But the old 3120 have more than 9 horse power (in the Spain 1990 catalogue), and have little mechanical problems. My 084 have the oil filter system, it´s cool and not the serial filters. More people for here use the serial filters, and scored the pistons for these.

Something that continues to confuse me about the 3120 is with the way the HS is not adjustable on new models, how well can the saw tolerate all the differences in fuel, altitude, etc that affect the high speed mixture. Almost every saw I have bought in the last 8 years has come new running either too lean or right at the ragged edge even when adjusted at the stop. Thank god for adjustable HS screws.

So with the 3120, do some folks end up swapping in a bigger jet?

I am thining I should have bought that 084 that Andy had just fixed up that I ran at Andy's a while back. I kind of liked it, but at that point I was still trying to fight the bigger saw thing. I am past that fight now, and the question ultimately is whether I'll end up with one bigger saw or two.:clap:

Yes, you change out the main jet (internal to the carb). pita for most users so most just run rich at other then sea level. If you buy one from Colorado.. don't run it without checking...

Ok enough of this...

:

Sorry for that (although it's been a micro fraction of the perenial 660vs395, 460vs441, etc talk).

In fact I have decided what I'll do. I am going to buy an 880 with a 50 inch 3/8 Cannon bar (may wait until Jan for tax reasons) and run it a while. Then if I have any curiousities left, I'll buy the 3120 and a long bar. Then either get rid of one saw or keep both (the most likely).

I'll spare you now, I was just trying to pick the forum's collective consciousness to decide which saw to start with, given the costs of these saws and the big bars to go with them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back