880 vs 3120 stock (YAEVTT)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I was talking about, the Dolmar bike:

attachment.php

-24 for each of the Dolmar dealers that stock the 7900 in Washington.

By having a second 7900 for parts, I probably qualify as a stocking dealer in Washington....

I wonder if General Saw in B'hm stocks Dolmars, though. They have been modding them for years.

Last edited:
I know a few people looking for those 24 sets of red tops.

I like the new black ones with the updated pre screen.

I had cut with my 375,066,7900 for the same amount of time one day and the Husky HD filter had smaller chips on the outer filter, the 066 HD filter had chips on the prefilter around the filter, but the 7900 had no chips in the mesh air filter at all, clean as a whistle, unlike it used to before the pre-filter carb cover that came out for 07.
Just homeowner use though, would like to see what a pro sees like you B.

Just letting you know B_Turner.

Last edited:
I know a few people looking for those 24 sets of red tops.

I like the new black ones with the updated pre screen.

I had cut with my 375,066,7900 for the same amount of time one day and the Husky HD filter had smaller chips on the outer filter, the 066 HD filter had chips on the prefilter around the filter, but the 7900 had no chips in the mesh air filter at all, clean as a whistle, unlike it used to before the pre-filter carb cover that came out for 07.
Just homeowner use though, would like to see what a pro sees like you B.

Just letting you know B_Turner.

My 066 gets quite a bit of dust on the prefilter somehow. My 395 is alway clean as a whistle. I bought a couple new style 7900 caps a little while back after you posted. I don't get the big chips in the pleats under the filter any more. Seems to work well.

I love to run those 7900s!

Last edited:
I am going to order a few parts this morning, and have a lazy mans question:

I like to have certain spare parts for each of my saws in my toolbox at all times, like extra sprocket rim C clips for my Stihls.

Is the clip on the 880 rim the same clip as my 066 (which I already have spares of)?

Any other parts that I should have on hand? Filter looks the same as 066, so that is a freebie.

I was looking through the owners manual for the 880, and it is the first saw manual I've ever got that does not list maximum rpm anywhere, including in the "specs." Even in the carb adjustment section.

I am guessing a max rpm of around 12,000, with a conservative carb adjustment of a little below that,maybe 11,500?

Last edited:
Is the C clip on the 880 rim the same clip as my 066 (which I already have spares of)?

I realized that I had my main question so buried with other carp, that I am reposting my question without the clutter.

Is the C clip on the 880 rim the same clip as my 066 (which I already have spares of)?

I realized that I had my main question so buried with other carp, that I am reposting my question without the clutter.

attachment.php

The 880 uses the 10 x 1.5mm clip.........The 660 uses the 8 x 1.3 mm clip like most other Stihls

The list above are the 10 x 1.5mm

Last edited:
attachment.php

The 880 uses the 10 x 1.5mm clip.........The 660 uses the 8 x 1.3 mm clip like most other Stihls

The list above are the 10 x 1.5mm

Thanks.

My Stihl electric(E220?) is my only saw that doesn't have a floating rim. It has .325 and .375 star sprockets held in by a screw. One at a time of course.:) :)

Last edited:
Sort of a bump.

My 880 manual gives no specs or guidelines for max rpm.

Anyone know? 12,000 max spec with WOT at around 11,500?

All the manual reallys says is that there isn't much adjustment available in the current model. Surprises me that it doesn't give a max rpm at least in the specs like my other manuals.

Last edited:
The manual assumes the CARB limiters are in place. The coil will limit about 12,250.. but... it's not a clean transition.

The WOT is set to 11,500 via the carb to avoid the ignition limiter. Remember.. . this is just a SWAG for any given bar length... etc. It will leave the saw slightly rich, but that's just fine for most uses. And 500 rpm is meaningless in real terms.

Don't mess with the H screw unless you really understand how the limiter works....

attachment.php

Last edited:
The manual assumes the CARB limiters are in place. The coil will limit about 12,250.. but... it's not a clean transition.

The WOT is set to 11,500 via the carb to avoid the ignition limiter. Remember.. . this is just a SWAG for any given bar length... etc. It will leave the saw slightly rich, but that's just fine for most uses. And 500 rpm is meaningless in real terms.

Don't mess with the H screw unless you really understand how the limiter works....

[imghttp://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60402&stc=1&d=1196128451[/img]

I would never mess with the H screw unless I was seeing way too many rpm. We checked it at the dealer and it was fine.

Just curious what the motor is speced at, as the manual says nothing. I search for the word 'rpm' in the whole manual and it was only in there once, talking about idle rpm.

Edit: I just saw your pdf on the 880, and it has more info on adjusting carb than my manual. Again, just curious as I am a believer if something aint broke then don't freak with it.

When I do set the rpm on a saw with a limiter (eg 7900) I start alittle too low and creep up to make sure I am not being fooled by the limiter. So there...ttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited:
Good luck on that approach with the 880!

Well here is my approach with the 880. Check it occasionally, (listen to it always) and worry about crossing that bridge if I ever see too big a number on the tach or if it sounds too lean.

If I get curious, seems like I can strap a tach on the saw and use a load to see if the saw is limiting or not.

What would the professor do?

Latest posts

Back