880 vs 3120 stock (YAEVTT)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A question to you saw tech types. Do you think it is hard on a saw to be under a pretty good load and have the spark skipped by the limiter? Sure makes a hammering sound.

Do you have a way to post some audio of it? I would like to see what it sounds like.

VRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM Tat Tat Tat Tat Tat VRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM Tat Tat Tat Tat Tat VRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM Tat Tat Tat Tat Tat

How is that?

At worst it should sound like it's just running rich. If you're getting a hammering or knocking noise, somethings wrong. That saw really needs as high of octane fuel as you can get your hands on. If its an octane issue, it will get a ping or a tapping noise like a V8 pulling up hill on regular gas.

Bill, your saw is simply ridiculous! A rev limiter exists to prevent people like me, who does not really know what they're doing, from over revving when fiddling with the H, not as something you bump in to under normal use!

And since you can't adjust your H, you simply shouldn't be even close to hitting it. All (2...) downloadable manuals I've checked supports that 12k is max, so that's where the limit should be. If that's not where the saw runs at its best is a different story, but that should be taken care of by the adjustable H. Oh... right...

Unless the dealer can't fix this for you, or at least prove that the saw you tried, and liked (especially the sound if I remember correctly), runs the same low rpms I'd say the saw needs to go back and be re-trained...

Last edited:
At worst it should sound like it's just running rich. If you're getting a hammering or knocking noise, somethings wrong. That saw really needs as high of octane fuel as you can get your hands on. If its an octane issue, it will get a ping or a tapping noise like a V8 pulling up hill on regular gas.

With no load, then WOT sounds like super rich. But with load, there is a different, harder sound like a raackkkkkkkkk. That of course is an exaggeration, but the sort of hammering is real noticable. Not a metallic pinging like a car or truck. Maybe hammering is the wrong word, but I can't think of another one right now.

LIke a motor loaded getting a bad miss. Not like something about to come through the side or anything. With this sound, I am talking only when on the limiter. At any load below the limiter rpm the sound is normal. But once I hit the limiter the sound changes as the saw starts to miss badly (my theory).

I never did try another plug like PES+ suggested...

Gas is fresh 93 octane (Chevron) as I always run.

I have no way to make audio that I know of. Also I just tried an 8 pin with the 50 inch to see if it helped stay off the limiter, but no real difference that I could tell.

Last edited:
Has someone considered calling Husky tech support, and asking them to escalate the question to engineering? One would think that the manufacturer would love to make sure that their saws run right, and hitting the rev limiter at 9600 sounds very unusual, and would probably turn a lot of people off. If it is indeed correct (and there is no reason to not trust Grande Dog), it needs to be explained.

Has someone considered calling Husky tech support, and asking them to escalate the question to engineering? One would think that the manufacturer would love to make sure that their saws run right, and hitting the rev limiter at 9600 sounds very unusual, and would probably turn a lot of people off. If it is indeed correct (and there is no reason to not trust Grande Dog), it needs to be explained.

My latest testing proved to my satisfaction that GD is right about the 9600. And I would bet that Husky won't really care what one person thinks about what they have chosen to do. Now if the bottom fell out of the 3120 market then they would revisit the decision to lower the limit, but that is unlikely to happen. They seem to be a popular milling saw, and for most people the price is less than the 880 (ironically, I could have gotten the 880 for the same).

They are not in the business of pleasing one small potatoe such as me. Not sure what I am going to do, but I wish there was a drop in replacement coil that gave me at least 10.5. I think that a little more leeway before the limiter cut in would help my style of cutting a lot. I can tell already what I will do is not run full throttle some times, which I understand can cause leaness. I'll only run full throttle with a big bar absolutely cranked on,just to avoid that hammering/miss sound.

JayfromWA loves his new 3120, but he is 6 7 and like 275 lbs. He likes to crush the tree with a 50 inch bar, and the saw is made to do that.

Also I have heard from enough sources to believe it, Husky has lowered the limit as their most cost effective way to try to minimize mechanical failures some 3120s were having.

Last edited:
That hamemering/miss sound is the limiter, and you're pounding unburnt gas though. Breathe deep...

Even 10500 is going to irk you (being a sensitive type ;) ) unless you ALWAYS load the saw up with big wood or big chain or aggressive chain or...

Live with it or get a different saw... Swapping coils and flywheels on a new saw is plain wrong, and... they did it for a reason. Maybe H tech support will tell you why, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
That hamemering/miss sound is the limiter, and you're pounding unburnt gas though. Breathe deep...

Even 10500 is going to irk you (being a sensitive type ;) ) unless you ALWAYS load the saw up with big wood or big chain or aggressive chain or...

Live with it or get a different saw... Swapping coils and flywheels on a new saw is plain wrong, and... they did it for a reason. Maybe H tech support will tell you why, but I doubt it.

Yup. And you were right all along (naturally) about the limiter skipping spark rather than retarding the timing.

I think for punishment when prison is too severe, the punishment should be to make someone run a saw on the limiter for a couple of weeks. That'd learn them.

Have read this thread with maturing interest.
Am just trying to assimilate what has already been suggested plus .02 cents
B TURNER
They are not in the business of pleasing one small potatoe such as me. ,

Strongly disagree.Just depends how wimpy you want to play it !!
Be very clear about what you want THE DEALER TO DO ABOUT IT-

You hold the ace- with a diminishing time frame.

After writing this an seeing 2 ,hour an half drives in a busy schedule ,get your money back / buy the dealer a slab of frosty.
Or 2 slabs ,if you feel particularly bad.
And because of your hands an 84.
Good luck

Last edited:

Agree 100% except don't live with it as is, I don't think you would be happy with that option.
Sounds like you have a solid relationship with this dealer so I would definitely take it back since this is a different coil than what you tested. You should not have to live with it. Tell them you want the 880 instead, and you can still rest your numb hands with the time your chain will save you. Sounds like 12K in the published specs is false advertising.

Last edited:
I don't know if it was mentioned how long ago you bought the saw but, if it is within 2 weeks you can return it for a full refund. It doesn't matter the reason, even if you don't like the way it parts it's hair. As far as the carb goes, it doesn't have a H screw but, there are different size jets available.

Agree 100% except don't live with it as is, I don't think you would be happy with that option.
Sounds like you have a solid relationship with this dealer so I would definitely take it back since this is a different coil than what you tested. You should not have to live with it. Tell them you want the 880 instead, and you can still rest your numb hands with the time your chain will save you. Sounds like 12K in the published specs is false advertising.

Not sure what I want to do, although I want to point out that I am in no way upset or anything. Just have been trying to understand what the 3120s are like these days and if the one I have is the norm.

ALso, at this point it is possible that the one I tried at the dealer may have been performing similarly, and I didn't really pick up on it with everything going on. Once I actually was home and started doing what I do for real I immediately noticed being on the limiter pretty much all the time. Not sure.

I'll let a day go by, and then by Friday maybe I can decide if I want go down there and see if 1) they all act exactly like mine (just so hard to understand if true) or 2) I want to try to learn to live with the limiter using different chain or something and only use the saw with at least 50 inch bar (which wasn't really the plan) or 3) try to get them to take it back.

Sometimes a little time can sort a situation out a bit. I do realize I have a limited time window to try to get them to take the saw back (which I have never done before), but sine I bought it Monday and called them the next with questions about the problem, I think either they will go for it or not. The time frame should not be the issue.

It's been interesting. Just think Husky let the ball drop a little with the 3120. And its too bad, as it is a nice saw otherwise. For example, most folks that have the earlier ones really like them. Happy Bird day to all.

I don't know if it was mentioned how long ago you bought the saw but, if it is within 2 weeks you can return it for a full refund. It doesn't matter the reason, even if you don't like the way it parts it's hair. As far as the carb goes, it doesn't have a H screw but, there are different size jets available.

Bought it the day before yesterday. I didn't know Husky had a return policy until someone mentioned it.

The saw runs strong enough that I think the jet is pretty close to the right size, the fact I can hardly get off the limiter is really my issue with the saw. Can't believe the 3120s all are all so challenging to use, but that is the 64 dollar question.

What I kind of wish is that I could post the saw for people to try for themselves. It is all just talk, and I think as soon as a person started cutting a 40 inch round and felt the saw missing away on the limiter they would understand my surprise/disappointment.

Hey that's an idea. I could start a saw lend out and we could each try a saw and then mail it on.

Edit: I want to summerize my impression of the new 3120 (without creating a new posting) so that it is more clear to someone who doesn't want to wade through this thread.

I bought a 3120 and a Cannon 50 inch 3/8 bar to be used cutting big wood (not milling). From the first time I put it to wood at home, I noticed that it was running on the limiter pretty much all the time. The only way to have it not be limited (which turns out to be 9.6 k now which I didn't know) was to bury the whole (50") bar in wood and lever like hell. So basically unless I was really being aggressive the saw is always on the limiter.

So what you say? Well, the limiter causes the saw to miss. So image you put the saw to wood and pull the throttle. As soon as the rpm reaches the limit speed (which is lower than most of us cut) the saw starts to miss. Becaue you have a load on the saw, the miss makes kind of a hammering sound and sensation as it interrupts normal ignition and fuel burning. So now you basically have this big saw that everytime you pull the trigger, gets funky (ragged) as it cuts. So it is the combination that a)the saw is limited practically all the time I cut, and that b)the limiter makes the saw run crappy that is the issue.

There is some question in my mind if they are all as annoying as mine, but at this point I think probably so. So there, you pretty much have it.

Last edited:
attachment.php

attachment.php

top is 1996 vintage .....Bottom might be what you have.......I know there were a few changes over the years.....

Last edited:
Back