$9 echo at goodwill. Why lol

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

August76

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I knew better. But I bought it.
It's all kinda rusty. Not the typical Arizona thing. Probably was submerged for a extended period. Engine is seized.
I poured some mineral spirits into the spark plug hole. Will let it sit a while. Then Probably tear it completely apart.
I've not bought a saw in years lol.
Hopefully I don't start buying saws again lol. I went from cad to gas (guitar addiction syndrome) and ham radio hoarding.
I still have my stihl 038 mag I rebuilt a few years back on here and my dcs6460 home depot saw and my old dolmar and the baby ms210? I forget. And a xturd 372. We removed a giant. Elm tree stump in the backyard. That was the last time I used a saw. Out there huffing and puffing with rona virus working that crap out of my system for the second time. Cutting x in stump haha.
This is such a cute little saw. I had to try n save it. 20220528_190518.jpg20220528_190525.jpg20220528_200324.jpg20220528_200054.jpg20220528_200336.jpg

That rust on the spark plug is not a good sign. The crank could look pretty ugly
I'm sure it's screwed. Did you see the chain? It's like it was in a bucket of water lol. The muffler is rusty. It's a shame I need a smaller saw. I know these aren't a popular saw on here but I've got plenty of big saws that I never use.

If it was mine I'd block off the exhaust and intake like I was gonna do a vac/pressure test and fill the engine through the sparkplug hole with some older 2 stroke mix that I wasn't using and let it sit awhile. If it has an impulse hose you'll have to block it off too. Maybe it will unstick itself..

If it was mine I'd block off the exhaust and intake like I was gonna do a vac/pressure test and fill the engine through the sparkplug hole with some older 2 stroke mix that I wasn't using and let it sit awhile. If it has an impulse hose you'll have to block it off too. Maybe it will unstick itself..
I have poured mineral spirits in it. Been sitting a few days. Down plug hole and carb. I thought about smacking piston down with a large punch

‘Smacking’ the piston sounds like putting a hole in the top.

Years back, a member posted that he brazed a zerk fitting to an old spark plug base, and used a grease gun to apply pressure to a stick piston Only works if piston is above exhaust port.

Philbert
I thought about it and decided that it was a bad idea.

I thought about it and decided that it was a bad idea.

Using a wooden dowel and smaller hammer can dislodge it enough to break initial seal and let your oil work around the rings.
Not such a flash idea if using a steel punch, the piston is at TDC or BDC and or the crank bearings are frozen completely solid.
But for a $9 investment- not a lot to loose.

Back