900G Homelite photographs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CM76

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to track down some decent photographs / pictures of a Homelite 900G series saw. If anyone has any, it would be great if you could post them. There are a number around of the 990G, 995, etc but I have not come across the 900G as yet.

Regards,

Chris.

Hi,

I am trying to track down some decent photographs / pictures of a Homelite 900G series saw. If anyone has any, it would be great if you could post them. There are a number around of the 990G, 995, etc but I have not come across the 900G as yet.

Regards,

Chris.

I have one but it is not comestically good at all. There are only a few basic differences between the series

Bill

Thanks for the info guys. Like you said Bill, there are only minor differences between the 900 series saws - one noticeable difference I believe is that the 900G, 900D, 9-26 and 9-23 models had their kill switch located on the upper left hand side on the flywheel cover, whereas the later saws were fitted with their switch near the left hand manual oiler lever. There are of course the variations in the exhaust / muffler designs.

These big old gear drive 900 series Homelites are indeed a favourite of mine - just have to get hold of one.

Regards,

Chris.

Hey, that's my saw! I've since discovered the NOS muffler I installed on this 900G is not correct as an original part but is correct as a replacement. The original should be flatter, taller, and have some ribbing--same as the 9-23 and 9-26. Still, the 900s did gain in displacement.

These old gear drives fetch alot of money lately.

Here's a couple more taken when the weather was nicer.

Chris B.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've since discovered the NOS muffler I installed on this 900G is not correct as an original part but is correct as a replacement. The original should be flatter, taller, and have some ribbing--same as the 9-23 and 9-26. Still, the 900s did gain in displacement.

These old gear drives fetch alot of money lately.

Here's a couple more taken when the weather was nicer.

Chris B.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for the information about the muffler for these saws. I am assuming it is the same as the 9-26 saw pictured? This is the saw which went for a pretty high price a while back on ebay. Like you mentioned, they fetch a good dollar these days as they are desirable saws to have in ones collection. Very justified in my opinion!

Thanks again,

Chris.

They are very good chainsaws, I have used them many times and watched a master faller kill many Redwoods with them. should you ever need to run 72" bars, this is your saw.

They are very good chainsaws, I have used them many times and watched a master faller kill many Redwoods with them. should you ever need to run 72" bars, this is your saw.

I have heard some stories of these saws and their pulling power. Steady in the cut with a big bar - I guess that they were responsible for alot of old growth timber in their day. A 72" bar would have been a handful to run during the falling of a big tree - its great that you were able to work with these big old saws, and also to watch a master in action. You can only read stories about the old growth logging glory days today, but the stories are great and often full of adventure.

Regards,

Chris.

The true long bars were cumbersome only when you moved them out of a cut or beginning a cut, and of course draggin' the dammed things around.
I believe that Art Martin used the same big Homelites, a considerable endorsement.

The threads and posts by Art Martin are a real treasure, and it is certainly a big endorsement for the Homelite saws - in that he used them years ago. I recall a thread from him mentioning that he enjoyed using the 7-29 Homelite saw - what a monster!

The big old Homelites (especially gear drive saws) are few and far between out here in Australia from what I have found, although the odd one can be picked up from time to time.

I really enjoy the stories of the big saws and big timber - keep 'em coming!

Regards,

Chris.

I left some stories in the logging/forestry forum, you will have to hunt them down.
Some of the big geardrives were in use through the 1970s, the big timber that fed them was pretty much gone after that.
I had a full set of the beltdrive Homelites, I sent most of them to folks who could make better use of them. The upright cylinder Homelites were some of the best chainsaws ever made.

The big old belt drive saws, such as the 7-29 and 8-29 are certainly titans when it comes to the crunch of things. They would have taken down their fair share of timber - would love to hear more from the guys that used them! As for the upright cylinder Homelite's being a great saw - I would certainly agree. I only have one - a 707G and I really like the saw. It is a great runner - very original and complete. I also have the horizontal cylinder Homelite 2000, however it is in pieces at the moment awaiting restoration. This saw was not a runner when I got hold of it, so cannot comment on it for the time being. The older Homelites have great style - I really like the rounded lines of the old belt driven saws as well as the later model upright cylinder gear and direct drive models.

Looking forward to hearing from more members who have pics or stories of the big old Homelite saws.

Regards,

Chris.

A really nice design model no doubt. I hear that Al resigned - due to the fact that the saw design was going away from that focus? His legacy is still alive and well - many upon many Homelite models utilizing the similar build pattern.

Great saws!

regards,

Chris.

Is it true that his disappearance has never been solved? It was the nice flowing lines of the 900 series Homelite saws which got me interested in the Homelite saw brand in general. Growing up in rural Australia in the 80's (well in my area anyway) I knew of pretty well one saw brand - Stihl. There were a few of the older saws around - the smaller McCullochs etc, but most of the saws about the place were Stihl saws. We never saw a Homelite in our area. Keep in mind that this was not timber country - all open plain, and cleared country, with the main job of the saw being firewood. The earliest saw I can remember my Dad owning was a Mobilco 'Workmate' saw which was a Mono relabelled for the Aust market. Dad then got hold of an 032 Stihl which he still has to this day, and it is running strong. I digress...

I have been interested in the 900 series saws for a while now - good on Al Coa for his work!

Regards,

Chris.

Thanks for the information about the muffler for these saws. I am assuming it is the same as the 9-26 saw pictured?

Yes, that's the muffler my 900 should have. I missed one on Ebay a while back. Should have tried harder to win it. I notice that 9-26 has a different heat shield than what I pictured, though I think mine is factory.

Dandy old saw. I picked mine up for $200. Threw a carb kit and new fuel lines on and never did another thing. Runs great and starts everytime.

Chris B.

Here is a picture of a 990D that used to belong to a member here. It now resides with me. The picture was taken before I got it. It looks a little different now.

Bill

I just finished a build with pics of a 990D. New piston/cylinder/gasket/rings/seals/sprocket .404-8 and a rebuild of the big tillotson HL. Our fellow member Thal was nice enought to let me use his shop and his camera. He will be posting the pics either tonight or tommorrow. Man those saws are stroooooong runners!

I just finished a build with pics of a 990D. New piston/cylinder/gasket/rings/seals/sprocket .404-8 and a rebuild of the big tillotson HL. Our fellow member Thal was nice enought to let me use his shop and his camera. He will be posting the pics either tonight or tommorrow. Man those saws are stroooooong runners!

A red saw in a Orange shop HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?

Latest posts

Back