91VX or VXL?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cre10

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My MS211 has had 91px. I'm in need of some chains and thought I would get something more aggressive. Bailey's only has 91PX and 91VXL. Is VXL phasing out the VX and that's why they don't have the VX? Would you guys recommend the VXL?

If I got some for my 180 would VXL be too much for it? Right now I have 14" Stihl PM3 on it.

I just found some other Oregon chain marked PP. What is it? When we got a couple saws a few years ago he must have thrown it in and I just now looked at it in the toolbox today. Side by side it looks identical to the PX.

yeah, I don't like Oregon chain as a rule but 91VXL is the best lo pro out there. I haven't tried the stihl chisel but I don't really want to with the ramps on it. Just get it. It's good stuff.

yeah, I don't like Oregon chain as a rule but 91VXL is the best lo pro out there. I haven't tried the stihl chisel but I don't really want to with the ramps on it. Just get it. It's good stuff.

pay no attention to the ramps:msp_thumbup: they don't get in the way. the stuff is quick but it doesn't take to dirty wood like the oregon vxl.

Px isn't a bad chain, safety humps are far better than the vg chains. Short cutters though, vxl is an excellent long life chain. I run it on muh 136 and it cuts great.

I just found some other Oregon chain marked PP. What is it? When we got a couple saws a few years ago he must have thrown it in and I just now looked at it in the toolbox today. Side by side it looks identical to the PX.

If it says 91p and not 91pp, is is the older version of the 91px.

The ramps on the Stihl "3" chain are much worse than the ones of the Oregon P/PX.

If it says 91p and not 91pp, is is the older version of the 91px.

It says 91 and then it has PP on the cutter. Side by side they're the same. Odd I because I think when I got the saw the guy threw them all in together.

PX does work well but as TK said the cutters are short. I'm liking the woodlandPro/Carlton, which has long cutters too. Seems to hold up well.

My MS211 has had 91px. I'm in need of some chains and thought I would get something more aggressive. Bailey's only has 91PX and 91VXL. Is VXL phasing out the VX and that's why they don't have the VX? Would you guys recommend the VXL?

If I got some for my 180 would VXL be too much for it? Right now I have 14" Stihl PM3 on it.

91VXL on the 211

90S if you can find it, on the 180

91VXL on the 211

90S if you can find it, on the 180
I have .050 on my 180's. I might try the 90S with the old .043 bars though. It seemed like when I first got it with .043 Stihl chain that the teeth didn't last worth a damn so that's why I went with .050 and had better luck.

I was told that VXL replaced the M-Series (M91VX). I believe the Oregon M-series chains had the hard chromed cutters, I could be wrong.
But Oregon has phased out all their M-series chains from my understanding.

It says 91 and then it has PP on the cutter. Side by side they're the same. Odd I because I think when I got the saw the guy threw them all in together.

That sounds odd, both PP, and that it is on the cutter - Oregon usually don't put any model designation letters there (or anywhere else on the chain itself).....

Back