91VX or VXL?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an old thread, and since my last post it has become clear that VXL has replaced VX.

There has been quite a few complaints on the 91VXL though, as the long cutters create problems and "chatter" with many saws and setups. I know that a lot of people want the 91VX back.

It looks like Oregon may come up with something else though (like in .325NK)? - time will tell....

I only have one loop of 91VXL, but I like it quite a bit. I have had no issues with chatter, but it is on a 19" bar so perhaps more weight masks that. I have not really noticed that it works that much different from Carlton N1 though.

Also, I think properly sharpened 91PX is just as fast. The chamfer chisel cutters end up with 2 45deg corners, which seems to be faster than the rounded outside edge of true semi-chisel. However, in addition to the cutters being short, I have seen some loops where the cutters are not very well formed and the "chamfer" (or bevel) is not well defined. Then you don't get the points when filing it.

Given that I have to have VXL shipped, I just go with N1 or (gasp!) TriLink that I can get off the shelf locally, all of which has long cutters.

I am getting quite a bit of binding though (and basically have had none previously with the cheap safety chains). Is that a consequence of the "non-safety" type chains . . .
Could be. Could be the longer cutter. Could be a different depth gauge offset. Etc. Assuming that they are sharpened the same. Oregon makes some of their chains with identical cutters, but with or without the bumper/low-kickback links; you would need to run one of each loop side-by-side with your saw, and your wood to be sure.

Something I find interesting is that the 'low-kickback' bumpers were originally developed to provide a smoother cut, rather than for safety.
"Today, guard links are usually associated with safety and kickback reduction. But in 1959, these original guard links were only expected to reduce the frequent hooking and grabbing of small brush. After a period of use, pulpwood producers observed an unexpected benefit--fewer chain saw accidents. A number of these companies mandated the use of the new chain." (from the Oregon website).

Philbert

I think I am going to chalk it up to the long cutters and see what happens once I mod the muff on my Echo giving it some extra oomph to pull those cutters through this dense and hard wood. I have noticed the increased chatter on these chains, but that does not bother me.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Cheers!
C

yeah, I don't like Oregon chain as a rule but 91VXL is the best lo pro out there. I haven't tried the stihl chisel but I don't really want to with the ramps on it. Just get it. It's good stuff.
You can get Stihl Lo pro without Bumpers it"s listed as PS & a yellow coloured tie strap having used VXL for a number of years & now using PS I will not go back to VXL + the last few loops of VXL new out of the box had a annoying Chatter that required approx 4 sharpenings worth of filing to smooth out the cutting ( I have posted on this in earlier posts )

Back