91VX vs. 91VG chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave2saw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Lots of questions...

For the homeowner who does occasional felling & bucking of 18-24", and a lot of pruning, is the 91VX chain overkill? How significant is the reduced kickback features of the 91VG chain in comparison? Does the VX chain cut much faster, and most important to me, does it stay sharper longer?

I'm willing to pay extra for the VX chain if it will last significantly longer and increase performance, but at the same time if using the VG chain is cheaper and works well enough, perhaps the reduced kickback feature is worth going that way.

The VS and VX will just cut a bit faster, and borecut much better.

In theory they will be a bit more prone to kickback - but most saws that these chain are used on doesn't create kickbacks that are really dangerous anyway, if you hold the saw properly......

Last edited:
They cost the same, so price isn't an issue. As for the reduced kickback features, the VG stuff is very reduced kickback, so much so that with the huge bumper link crap it actually becomes a problem to get chips to clear from the cut on bars longer than 14".

The truth is that the sorts of saws that run this chain are seldom powerful enough to produce meaningful kickback, even if you were to actually try to get the saw to kickback. In the small consumer saw category I think that the concerns about kickback risk are substantially overblown. These saws are far more likely to stall the chain when pinched than they are to kickback, after all.

I'm all for being safe but seriously, safe cutting technique coupled with appropriate PPE pretty much negates any argument for bumper-link safety chain, boys and girls. You're much better off with a good, sharp non-safety chain so you get the job done quicker and better, before tiredness or fatigue set in and you get sloppy.

I tried some 91vp chain and did not like it. I would like to give this 91vx a try.
For now I'm sticking 95vp for my 346xp.
Could anyone post some pictures of these types of chain?
I think 95VP is a good chain on the 346xp, it is standard here.

If I had one, I would have wanted to try Oregon LP and Stihl RS though......:cheers:

PS; There are no 91VP, you probably refer to the VG, maybe the 91V (that one have the same type of ramps on the drivers as VP and LP etc....).

Thanks SawTroll
I use LG and RS on my 3/8" pitch saws, did not think it was offered in any 325 pitch chain.
Love your new 339xp. Are you using 95vp on that saw?

Yep, and it actually came with a rim sprocket, even though the ILP doesn't show one. Should be easy to give 3/8" low pro a try, if I want to, but I actually believe 95VP is optimal.....:biggrinbounce2:

Chain

SawTroll
I was wondering if that 339 came with a rim sprocket. Another question of mine that you helped with.... Thank-you...
Gota get-off the computer now and go cut down some Black Walnut trees for a homeowner
See ya

SawTroll
I was wondering if that 339 came with a rim sprocket. Another question of mine that you helped with.... Thank-you... ....

I don't know if they do in the US, as I have heard of 353s and even 346xps coming with spurs there, never seen that here......

The first impressions of the 339xp is very good, Witchy just loves it.....:clap: :clap:

From another tread, first two pics is with the 372xpg, third with the 339xp;

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back