A Bucking Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not falling. Today's example is that I came upon a Doug-fir probably 18" diameter where it needed to be bucked at. A blowdown, on the road. Somebody had already taken just enough to fit a car through. The chunk I was bucking off was about 4 feet long, because that is where there was clearance between the tree and the pavement. I forgot my camera today.

I have Twinkle and falling wedges for equipment. I start bucking, the saw does not get stuck, but the tree just settles when I have cut through. The cut off chunk does not break loose. It is cut all the way through but held tightly against the rest of the tree, because of the settling.

I try to cut another chunk off, a bit farther up, same thing. All the way through, but stuck.

I'm wishing for a peavey, or Tippy the truck with the blade, but that's not going to happen. The only thing I can do is proceed to carve an opening --widen the kerf, so I can get the chunk loose. This works, but takes time and doesn't look so good.

Is there a secret cut that would cause it to come apart? Somehow, I have my doubts on this but many of you have years and years of experience and might have the secret bucking method to kick it loose. Help please?

wedges

Cut end have a large friction surface. Use wedge lightly for a pivot point. Just enough to break surface friction. A cant hook or long rock bar would help. Log tongs with chain or rope attached to truck would get ya started.

I'm not really understanding what the bucking problem is. To clear a crown off the road is mostly just a simple matter of cutting 80% thru and hinging it back by either brute force or some kinda other friendly persuader.
John

What I use it for the most is rolling longer, heavier rounds out of the way than I could by hand... thus, making less cuts, and getting back on the road faster. It's a handy tool.

Yes, I have one at home, but don't want to drag it to work and have it rattling around in the back of the pickup every day. I'd rather have one at work too.

I guess I'll cut smaller pieces or continue to carve.

I'm trying to picture what you've got. Where is the bind? Diagonal might help it slip. Open it up with a small face where it will pinch so it doesn't. Reaming it out maybe? How was it hung? You really could have used the camera this time Miss P. Maybe you need a hero cam?

If you where able to get it loose buy reaming and widening the kerf the tree must not have moved much to keep the rounds compressed.
A diagonal cut sometimes called a Salomi cut will pop a compressed piece out, sometimes with force.
It can be more difficult to use if the log is on the ground.
But sometimes it is the only way to get compressed pieces apart without equipment.

I returned, thinking that I'd get the cone because somebody might have cut it up for firewood. Much to my surprise, the tree was untouched. I decided if I cut it up, I'd haul it home, so headed back to town, took an hour off, got my own pickup and saw and went out and cut a load. The tree is no longer on any pavement. Boy, that was good wood. I put some little chips in my pickup for air freshener.

The Barbie Saw went right through it. As planned. I had my peavey along too.

Back