A Bucking Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought all there was to it was cocking the hat? ;)

I don't hop so good anymore. The last time I hopped, the stump landing zone proved to be rotten, and I converted a header into a shoulderer and did not point my toes so got a deduction in points. My hat stayed on. Nothing was broken or torn so it was a good landing after all.

I shall try the above mentioned cutting method, not the hopping, next time I run into it. The way we've been getting little wind gusts, that particular root rot area will be providing more firewood for the People and more bucking practice for some of us.

Thanks for the info. I don't have any fallers working here to pester. Maybe next week.

Slowp, I understand exactly what you are talking about and do have a cut that will work for you in this situation. The problem is that both ends of the log are holding the chunk you cut out and preventing it from falling or chunking out.....correct? I run into this situation all the time chunking out Blowdown from standing trees I want to cut. Being that the chunks want to fall down start your cut on the underside of the log. Hold your saw so that your bar is at a 45 and cut up 3/4 of the way torward the top.....depending on the size and degree of bind, then from your 45 cut, take out a face cut. Know you got a big ugly angled face cut on the underside of the log.......Ok, now, drop the saw and start hopping up and down on your left leg and try to put your right heel on your left shoulder. If this is somthing you cannot perform, then just pick the saw back up and start kerfing the top of the log at the same angle of your face cut in the underside. This will work well for you and if you get hung up while kerfing the top just thump it with your falling axe and it will fall right out. After you get done with this procedure let me know if it works.......I've never tried it! Just kidding, I promise it works well.

Thats the ticket!

Even this one did not want to come apart. I had a peavey handy and that worked. This is out at a place some friends of mine have.

attachment.php

The tree landed on an old building. I cut a bit on one side, then the other, repeat. Part of it is still on the building.

My uncle Fraser spelled it your way too but I was just trying to get the name of the soap right . If I didn't have spell-check, I would spell MY name wrong !

no sweat , i'm so used to people putting an i or z in it i should be used to by now.LOL.

Back