A bunch of Fallen Dirty wood, Saw choice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spindrift7mm

spindrift7mm

Changing the World One Saw at a time !
Dirty Wood Remedy = All the cc you can carry---Largest sprocket saw will pull---longest bar you own(most cutters)---Loudest muffler you can mod---Atleast 5 semi-chisel SHARP chains ! You'll smile all day listening to the music. Ken

John R

John R

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm getting ready to clear up an area of my property that has a bunch of fallen trees left over from Hurricane Sandy.

Mostly tulip poplar, Pine and fir.

By now its dirty wood on the ground and will most likely take a toll on a saw, So......

Use a almost brand new 455 Rancher or buy a Poulan Pro PP5020AV for around $200 and use that for the reminder of the summer to finish the job?

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Eric
Spend the money for extra chains, you already have a cheap saw. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

AuerX

AuerX

constantly confused
I found the Poulan Pro 5020AV available online for $129, Open Box.

I might just go for that.

I'll Throw a Forester 16" bar on it and buy a few chains and still be under $200.

AuerX

AuerX

constantly confused
Extremely boring last 2 days with tomorrow supposedly the same........Rain.....Rain....Rain......Rain......

I got the saw and the Forester 16" ready to go but man....Not in this weather....!

AuerX

AuerX

constantly confused
Keep us posted. I have the 5020 and I'm thinking about putting a 16-inch bar on it. 20 inches was useful for a while, but now it's overkill for most of what I'm doing.

I will man, Its days like these that I'm glad I live on a Mountaintop.
Flood warnings all over the place.

Not to mention all the mess down south.

CTYank

CTYank

Peripatetic Sawyer
Turns out, I just got a 16" K095 bar to go on my PP5020. Just need to take out a few links from some chains I used on an old Poulan, and I'll have 4 loops to fit. Should really rip with sharp chain on a 16".
With a 20" on a 6100 Dolmar and a 24" "in the mail" for it I'm covered for that size range.
The interesting bit will be trying the OEM 20" 5020 bar (70 DL) as a spare on the 6100 20" (72 DL); will be educational, at least. Sometime when the monsoon breaks.

AuerX

AuerX

constantly confused
Well I got out today, If for nothing else to start it up.
Waiting for the ground and such to dry a bit before I put it in wood.

Started fine, Balance feels ok with the 16" bar.

But man does the oiler put out stuff!

Quick Pic:

205qkpy.jpg

AuerX

AuerX

constantly confused
Speaking of chains, What 16" chain should I get for a second chain?

I probably won't order one but just rather use a local dealer.

Stihl?

Husky?

I heard Stihl chains are hard and last the best but honestly I never used one.......