A Cheap Woodshed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little late, but I make my woodshed's the elcheapo style. I use very large ... ah $"it I forgot what they are called in english :bang:, just look at the photo. I take four of them and have my "wood shed" with excellent ventilation. They are 2 metres long and a little over a metre wide. So I can get ~4 m2 inside. The roof get's a slanting so rain and snow can flow off. For the roof I have some recycled corrugated fiberglass roofing. Everything gets put on some old bricks to have enough ventilation from underneath and if I have enough time everything get's a coating with old engine oil to withstand the elements a little better.

View attachment 308509

Good luck!

Those are pallets, or slang some places here they are also called skids, but pallets is more common.

Your English is just fine!

Hello I made my shed from salvaged wood from a old horse fence.Probably spent around 60 bucks for some deck boards and pier blocks...oh ya and 30 bucks for some osb for the roof....Had some old shingles in the garage from previous owner.

That came out quite nice, and up off the ground with those pier/blocks is an added good touch.

Those are pallets, or slang some places here they are also called skids, but pallets is more common.

Your English is just fine!

Thanks! It's just time to go to bed. Way after midnight, so old age and time and brain don't mix that well! :hmm3grin2orange:

When you live some where long enough you start to collect stuff. Turning that stuff into other stuff gets to be second nature. The base of this little shed was a pressure treated floor for a chain link dog kennel. The sides are left over panels of fence left over from the new big dog kennel. I bought one more panel to use as the roof. I thought the gaps in the boards would help air flow. After one winter I had to put shingles on the roof, left over from big tool shed, because the gaps let too much rain through. Takes stuff to make stuff, problem is I have way more stuff than I have things to be made out of the stuff, Joe.

Wood Drying has been discussed in the past and some tests can be found on the internet.

They claim just leaving the wood open to the sun and wind drys just as fast as a cover. Covers during the summer tend to trap moisture.

It was also suggested to cover the wood about a month before using it.

They said just cove the top with like tin or plastic. To keep water from running down into the wood stacks.

But to keep the sides open and not to stack your stacks to close , you want air to flow.

I personally use plastic cut in strips of about 3" to 4" wider than the length of my wood. I then use a staple Gun to tack it down folding the excess plastic over the sides of the top layer of splits on my stacks. Some times I roll the plastic to be able to staple thru 2 or more layers of plastic for extra strength for the staple to hold.

Back