A Cord of wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickblaze466

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been trying to think up a way to measure a cord of wood out without actually going through and stacking it up, just to throw it in my truck and haul it somewhere. I'm not very good at guessing on the size of the pile sitting on the ground. people have told me to build frames that hold roughly a cord and just fill the box - but i have nothing big enough to pick it up.

any ideas?

or is this just one of those things you have to do?

Use the search feature here. There have been MANY threads abotu this already!

i did. said unable to locate and then window blanks out. having network trouble, didn't know if it was associated with that or not?

We just delivered slightly under two cords yesterday. We used a 3/4 ton truck without side boards, loaded it halfway up the cab and when stacked comes out to about 8 tenths of a cord. We have done this for years and the results are always close to the same. If you want to fashion some sideboards you can haul a cord without a problem as long as the truck can take it.

If you're transporting splits, rounds or 4' lenghts and are willing to stack somewhat neatly in your truck, you can guestimate fairly easily.

For example, my Ranger has a 6' bed, about 3' wide. I stack about 2' in height if I'm paying for a truckload and want to get the absolute most for my money (usually tree tops, etc that I get for $5-$10 per load.) This comes to just a little over a 1/4 cord. I just keep track of the number of transports and do the simple math.

Useful Web site posted on another thread that I find helpful:

http://www.state.me.us/ag/firewood.html

3 scoops of loose wood pretty much fills the back of my 1 ton dually flatbed with 2 foot sides, both of which stack out pretty close to a cord of wood.

I've been trying to think up a way to measure a cord of wood out without actually going through and stacking it up, just to throw it in my truck and haul it somewhere. I'm not very good at guessing on the size of the pile sitting on the ground. people have told me to build frames that hold roughly a cord and just fill the box - but i have nothing big enough to pick it up.

any ideas?

or is this just one of those things you have to do?

You should do the stacking at least once.

Stack one cord of wood, then toss it in your truck, then eyeball how full your truck is. After that, just go by how that first cord looked when it was just tossed in (i.e. the next time you can just toss in wood until it piles up about as much as the first cord did).

One thing tho. Unless you are using a good sized dump box on your truck, chances are that it will take more than one trip with a 1/2 or 3/4 ton to haul a cord of wood when it is just tossed into the truck bed.

HTH

I've done the whole toss in a full cord and see what it looks like. i ask because i'm supposed to deliver 3 cords at once this coming weekend, and another order with two cords at one time.

my log truck is a '78 f-350 dually with a pretty serious suspension upgrade. it has a steel flat bed with about 1 foot steel sides, i believe its close to six feet wide, 12 feet long. i can get a cord in there just fine, but to get all 3 to one spot i'm going to need to pull my big trailer as well and thats more the reason why i was asking - how to guess on the fill up of that thing.

i've only had one customer complain about deliveries, he said i was short just over 60sqft of wood. i explained that a cord is 128, and thats almost half - no way that could be but i'll come out and bring him some more no charge. so i did, he wasn't home. measured the pile he stacked up myself - he forgot to include depth in his measurement. :givebeer:

I've done the whole toss in a full cord and see what it looks like. i ask because i'm supposed to deliver 3 cords at once this coming weekend, and another order with two cords at one time.

my log truck is a '78 f-350 dually with a pretty serious suspension upgrade. it has a steel flat bed with about 1 foot steel sides, i believe its close to six feet wide, 12 feet long. i can get a cord in there just fine, but to get all 3 to one spot i'm going to need to pull my big trailer as well and thats more the reason why i was asking - how to guess on the fill up of that thing.

i've only had one customer complain about deliveries, he said i was short just over 60sqft of wood. i explained that a cord is 128, and thats almost half - no way that could be but i'll come out and bring him some more no charge. so i did, he wasn't home. measured the pile he stacked up myself - he forgot to include depth in his measurement. :givebeer:

Well, that's a horse of a different color altogether!

How comfortable do you feel with tossing wood into the trailer so that it is about the same size as the load that is on your truck, then doing it again so that you have a 3 cord load? This would get you close assuming that the width of your trailer bed is similar to that of your truck.

I hope to have the same issue next year now that I have a bigger trailer (I just picked up a 16' with tandem 6,000# axles). I will probably stack a few cords on the ground, then start tossing each cord into the trailer, paying close attention to what 1, 2, and 3 cords look like when they are tossed into the trailer. Yes, it is a bit more work for me the first time, but that is the best way that I can figure to get fairly accurate loads.

If you come up with a better way, please post it up!

theirs no way a 3/4 ton truck can hold 2 cords of wood what are you thinking tom trees

Who is this directed at?

I re-read the thread and no one said that a 3/4 ton can hold 2 cords of wood all at once.

huskystihl was the only one who mentioned 2 cords in a 3/4 ton (well, actually he said "slightly under 2 cords"), but he said that he hauls just under a cord so I figure that made 2 trips?

I mentioned 1, 2, and 3 cords, but was referring to a trailer. :D

PS ... I'm not looking to argue or start anything, but was merely looking for clarification of your statement as I may not have explained myself as clearly as I had thought I had in previous posts.

Timberwolf told me (when I got my processor) that 175 cu. ft. of unstacked 14"-16" wood will stack a cord. So I did the math and biult side boards for my 1 ton. I can dump a cord in it, or I can stack it on there and get 5 face cords, but that's about all my dodge diesel want's on it's back. but I can pull ALOT more on a trailer. I mostly haul in my 10 wheeler dump truck with the 22ft bed. A face cord of green oak 16-18" will tip the scales at close to a ton.

Last edited:
Who is this directed at?

I re-read the thread and no one said that a 3/4 ton can hold 2 cords of wood all at once.

huskystihl was the only one who mentioned 2 cords in a 3/4 ton (well, actually he said "slightly under 2 cords"), but he said that he hauls just under a cord so I figure that made 2 trips?

I mentioned 1, 2, and 3 cords, but was referring to a trailer. :D

Yeah I didn't clarify that. Just under a cord in the truck thrown in. I do have an 8 by 15 tripple axle that will haul over three cords. You can haul a cord in a truck without a dumpbox but you better have some good sideboards

You should do the stacking at least once.

Stack one cord of wood, then toss it in your truck, then eyeball how full your truck is. After that, just go by how that first cord looked when it was just tossed in (i.e. the next time you can just toss in wood until it piles up about as much as the first cord did).

One thing tho. Unless you are using a good sized dump box on your truck, chances are that it will take more than one trip with a 1/2 or 3/4 ton to haul a cord of wood when it is just tossed into the truck bed.

HTH

+1 Exactly. Stack it once and get a 4x4x8 cord. Then into the truck. I can tell you from experiance that a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pick-up with a regular bed will hold a 1/2 cord with a good load on it. The only way you'd ever get a cord on would be a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with high sides on it. :cheers:

On the bed described, if stacked half way decent I would load it upto 6ft if possible would yeild 3.3 cord given large gaps, I would call that a more then honest cord.

Just don't get caught crossing the scales loaded that heavy. An F-350 has a GVW that won't allow that much on it. You would be pushing the GVCW....

You should have seen my truck yesterday. I hauled a load of sand, I weighed out at 12,630 lbs. (exactly 3 tons) all in my 85 f-250 and (air bags not filled) still had an inch to the bumpstops:jawdrop:

Back