A different story of enclosure: New-Old Friend - My New MS660 !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PainAndMurphy

PainAndMurphy

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
[will do my best, with my English as 2nd language..]

Here we go:
Several years ago, a big company named STIHL has begun negotiating a small company that I was working at in order to create a very unique chainsaw.. their own version of chainsaw to cut through concrete and other thick concrete based construction materials like blocks etc'..

They wanted to make this machine better than was known to that point back then..

They had the heritage, technology, knowledge and means.. for making this machine.

We had the same - with industrial diamond tools and the segments they wished to merge into their future wet concrete cutter.. a STIHL concrete chainsaw! :)

Years went by, and this project was TOP SECRET all along..

Since it's official release - in each and every of STIHL's main continents -one after the other- during the last few months - I think I'm allowed to tell this story, although it comes down to a 'little' timber-monster of my own! LOL..

The prototype was based on the MS460. I was one of two(!) people only to do this job. One in STIHL's HQ, and one in the Industrial Diamond Tools company. I have been out cutting in the R&D testing facility for more than two years straight, and had the honor to work side by side with one of the best and most appreciated engineers I have EVER met. A great man..

And despite that I was just gaining my knowledge on wood chainsaws, and reading the STIHL documentation that came along the engines, I also happened to notice that there was one bigger one amongst a series of 460's..

Indeed - that was the flagship!! An MS660!! :D :D

The patrons of this project insisted on a lighter power-pack than competition.. oh well! Too bad.. or is it??
I always loved the 660, and sitting on the shelf after only a few tanks run through it - for me - it was the crown jewel.. LOL!! :) :)

Years went by - and I wished to change profession. I knew I had all it takes to become a presenter of this machine in the American and European, but I got tired of fighting people (been to and through enough wars and I'm not gonna fight false wars - even if now it's just personal confrontation.. I 8 WARS.) and wanted a bit more freedom to express and give more to the community.. So I left the company - and got into the landscaping / tree-care team of the local community :)

Later I was subject to the discovery that I have caught a new virus..

Or something..

Later and farther up the road - I then realized I have C A D !!

A couple of more years went by, and more than a 'couple' of storms tore some of the biggest trees around our nice community, and I got frustrated that our biggest engine is a 62cc holding a 20".. Though a REALLY tough one, I spent enough time to develop an intense urge to obtain a big machine - but this time it would be my very own! :)

Because I knew what I was after. EXACTLY what I was after.

I got some money the state owed me, and from a couple of gigs that I did with the band, got the cash several months later.. and as soon as that happened - I called the factory, said "Hi! It's Jo! Remember me from R&D? [bla bla bla bla..] - I know that the MS660 sits like a stone on the shelf right where I left it! You guys know NO ONE is gonna use it - and I'm coming over to buy it from ya!"

A few more words of negotiation - cash on the table - and right there I officially became an excited (I'm a low budget chainsaw enthusiast, so cut me some clack, hey? LOL) and proud owner of a STIHL MS660!

Just a few more parts to get it back to what it was meant to be - a wood cutter - and I'm good to go :)

That's the major part of the story. Excuse me for the difficulty to keep it shorter..
I really try..

Will have more pictures of the assembly with parts I ordered from eBay etc'..

I hope you enjoy this thread,

"PainAndMurphy" Jo.

PainAndMurphy

PainAndMurphy

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
The odd and flimsy stickers..

..are the actual stickers I put on and marked with a thin Artline marker several years ago!! LOL

This was due to lack of the digital tachometers that STIHL supplied us with the 2nd series of engines.
These are awesome! Tiny squares with LCD that shows precise RPM and keeps record of run-time :D
Way before these machines had chips in them, so it was DA SH** back then.. lllloooollll.... :p

When I was directed to store the MS660 and keep using only MS460's - I ran the procedure, emptied the 660 from fuel in the traditional way, and summed the run-time from the papers - onto the sticker., only 90 minutes! :D

Never worked ever since! Sat there completely drained and dry!

:D

BTW:
The official finished product is the STIHL GS461 Rock Boss® Concrete Cutter that was recently (relatively) announced.. vid' from STIHL USA: STIHL GS 461 Rock Boss® Concrete Cutter - YouTube

Thanks for any of you who might be reading this..

Had a need to share..

Jo.

PainAndMurphy

PainAndMurphy

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
ThX m8 !!

It's like a chainsaw version of "Lassie" or the "Black Stallion"!:msp_wub: Seriously, that is cool you got your 660. I want a 660 or a Poulan 8500 before I depart this earth. Congrats:msp_thumbup:!

Your credit number(166 ATM..) reminds me of a chainsaw I dream of at least just having, owning it -not necessarily using it- just starting it on meets to hear that incredibly slow and heavy idle RPM !!!! - a Sachs-Delmar 166 !!

Obtaining the 066 cooled that down by a long-shot :D (is that how u say that? let's hope.. he he)

Jo.

P.S.
I still miss the experiments.. lol.. a little.. :D

=================

EDIT:
I'd hate to spoil such a nice symbolic number, but I'll still try to rep ;)

Last edited:
PainAndMurphy

PainAndMurphy

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Point is simple

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. The Stihl MS660 is a fabulous, professional chainsaw. Hundreds of sawyers know this. That's why I rebuilt one and own it today.

Pound for pound, I think the MS660 is the best logger chainsaw that you can buy today.

I came across this particular MS660 in a not-so-standard way, and after several years - It's mine - and I am still the only one to have run it! That is, in very few words.

And not every day a common person like me gets to R&D prototype for such a unique chainsaw..

Reminder - I'm converting to wood cutting - what used to be a test subject (for a very short period) of cutting concrete with 1" and more re-bars in it.. IMO - it's kinda unusual.. again - just my opinion.

Jo.

Wood Doctor
Point of Order...

"I came across this particular MS660 in a not-so-standard way, and after several years - It's mine - and I am still the only one to have run it! That is, in very few words."

----------------------

I believe you need to expain "not-so-standard way" and how it is possible that you are the only one who has ever run this MS660. That might clear things up a bit for those of us who have spent $1,000 or more to own one.

PainAndMurphy

PainAndMurphy

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
maybe it's my mediocre English? :/

"I came across this particular MS660 in a not-so-standard way, and after several years - It's mine - and I am still the only one to have run it! That is, in very few words."

----------------------

I believe you need to expain "not-so-standard way" and how it is possible that you are the only one who has ever run this MS660. That might clear things up a bit for those of us who have spent $1,000 or more to own one.

The MS660 was an ONLY MS660 amongst a whole series of MS460 units that were meant to be used intentionally - and were indeed used - which makes sense since STIHL were planning and counting on the much lighter platform of the 460 for the supposed product mentioned. The reason this 660 came along is UNKNOWN. Therefore -plus the occasion of being in this R&D project which was one of the more challenging periods of my life- I said "not-so-standard".

Based on all the facts, MS660 was NEVER a part of their goal anyway since it was WAY too big in their taste.. It was ME who insisted on givin' the 660 a shot -locally- since it compares to the competition's bore {Husqvarna K960 Chain [formerly known as Partner K950 Chain] is a 94cc violent torque-beast} , but they never had the patience to wait 'till after total break-in..

That didn't matter -again- since STIHL stuck to the much lighter 77cc platform as a key factor

Any other Q ?

strangersfaces

strangersfaces

ArboristSite Operative
...... explain "not-so-standard way" and how it is possible that you are the only one who has ever run this MS660. That might clear things up a bit for those of us who have spent $1,000 or more to own one.

Here's what I got from the Original Post...

For a couple years, part of PainAndMurphy's job consisted of testing prototype concrete cutting chainsaws.

The Stihl concrete cutting chainsaw development project began with delivery of MS440 power-heads and this MS660 as test mules for conversion. Early on it was decided that the lightness of the MS440 was preferable, so this ONE MS660, after a mere 90 minutes of total use, sat for years on the shelf of the testing facility as development continued using the MS440's.

PainAndMurphy is now converting this particular 660 for use in wood.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
Yes, purpose of thread?

For a couple years, part of PainAndMurphy's job consisted of testing prototype concrete cutting chainsaws.

The Stihl concrete cutting chainsaw development project began with delivery of MS440 power-heads and this MS660 as test mules for conversion. Early on it was decided that the lightness of the MS440 was preferable, so this ONE MS660, after a mere 90 minutes of total use, sat for years on the shelf of the testing facility as development continued using the MS440's.

PainAndMurphy is now converting this particular 660 for use in wood.

AND, he's very proud of his role in the development of the new 460 concrete cutting saw, plus his good fortune to acquire a good condition MS660 powerhead from the prototypes, which is more saw than he thought he would be able to afford if he had to purchase one new.

Congratulations on your 'new' saw. I hope that you get the parts that you need soon.

Philbert

discounthunter

discounthunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
congrats on getting your saw. were they trying to put a 660 top end on a 460 chasis? or just make a 660 cement saw? did they ever try? why were they waiting for a complete break in before using the 660? were the 460's run thru a similiar break- in period? just some random questions.

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
What a neat story! Just tooo slick! Congrats man, for the saw and also for being part of that development team, must have been real fun! And now you are big boss cutter around your community, just too cool!

PainAndMurphy

PainAndMurphy

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
well..

To Doc -
It's right under your nose, and you look way far towards the horizon relating to my humble thread.. I thought that here is where chainsaw people meet to consult and even just share.. - oh! and if during assembly I'm doing something wrong - how would I ever know if I kept it to myself? :/ Oh!(#2) -- and look at the thread's title.. among the words it says "story of enclosure" I believe.. and though it was in other words - I did point out my English sucks.. Sorry you don't like this thread, my apologies.
Problems? -- I intend on posting updates if it's not too disturbing.. say? I can give that up. I won't mind. Thank you.

To strangersfaces -
Yes, same - just with MS460 :) 440 is a tad bit weaker for this job. But you're generally correct. And both you and Philbert - thanks for the encouraging words :)
[again - pardon my poor English, especially if my words gets an odd meaning]

To discounthunter -
No, the prototypes were almost naked 460's that were 'granted' with a custom kit to hold a special bar and chain while injecting water (at least 1.5bar) to this kit. It's very cool :)

The final product is shown in a nice official video that I put the link right up here. Scroll up or just find "STIHL GS 461" on YouTube.
Also - I think the goal is to be able to run this machine through concrete after as short as can be break-in period.. Maybe it's a Nikasil coated cylinder?.. who knows.. This is beyond my knowledge at the moment, plus we decided to put the machines into work only after the most critical initial break-in period of three tanks run through it (as STIHL say, and is also mentioned in the manual. You can DL the PDF of the MS460 obviously) .
But still, I believe that the all new Rock Boss is designed to eat walls from birth!! LOL

Thanks everybody!

PM me if there's a point to upload the assembly..

"PainAndMurphy" Jo.

PainAndMurphy

PainAndMurphy

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member

----------------------

Let me say just this: I 'paid' more than money putting my soul and maybe my health (I would only be able to tell as I grow older, if I don't have permanent damage) to this project in order to get things on schedule - and yet without compromise whatsoever. I won't claim what I deserve because that's not who I am and that's not my way. I could've have an agreement with them to settle for borrowing it!! But that didn't seem so right to me for some reason.. It needed a better home. A home where someone will 'pat' it and give it something to 'eat' (maybe more like to 'devour'.. lol) - so I put money on the table so I could make it official - so I could take it HOME :)

But that just me.

From a different angle,

Sometimes a man just does stuff.. does something unusual..
Sometimes even a man needs to buy himself a BIG present to feel REALLY GOOD....
Satisfaction for long term - I could call it..

Make the C.A.D. go quieter for who knows how long..

Or maybe that's a long term medication? ha haaa...

Bucking big wood like butter?

Last edited:

Latest posts