A different story of enclosure: New-Old Friend - My New MS660 !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a little 'treat'? or is it.. lol ;)

Me and my best (human, a non-chainsaw) friend decided to go to a special day arranged by the official distributor of the brandname in our country dedicated to the special GS461 .. I'll let you guys decide how much of this is either on or off the subject.. anyways, it's sti(H)ll a chainsaw, it has a heart and the guts of the timberfeller one, AND also a really exciting experience being there as a visitor - seing and running the machine from the 'other side' after being an insider back when it was top secret.. thus making it pretty much a closing of a circle! :)

YouTube

Last edited:
well.. - short vid, but heavy on the Meg's..

Small video to watch. But I was expecting to see clouds of dust, which I did not. That hose must work pretty well.

Philbert

that one was just on-the-fly'ish.. and it took me 4ever with the means I got.. will it do to try and upload another longer vid where my friend plays around with it? ;)

water-flow wise, all it needs is nothing but your garden hose. standard. about 1.5bar - and you're set! it goes anywhere the disc cutter can't reach, and more + no overcutting! not to mention - MUCH safer than the disc. I will always love this machine..

here's a non-mobile link..

Small video to watch. But I was expecting to see clouds of dust, which I did not. That hose must work pretty well.

Philbert

here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq55AQ0WZ94

..I hope it's any good. I'll post another video of someone else cutting, but I still like mine better!! :p
You'd say I'm biased, I'd say I'm more experienced with concrete-chainsaws! LOL

SOON -- MY 1ST VID WITH THE MS660!!! YYYEEYYYYY!!! :p

sorry I have no idea if I can flip the images here.. on my desktop they appear right..
just thought it would be nice to refresh this thread with the updates.. :)

love this saw :) :)

Attachments

• 660before.jpg
    660before.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 660afterA.jpg
    660afterA.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 660afterB.jpg
    660afterB.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 660afterC.jpg
    660afterC.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 12
another try.. :/
it keeps flipping the images! :(

BTW, that's before the upgrade above..

have a great one people..

Jo.

Attachments

• 660 felling a.jpg
    660 felling a.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 660 felling b.jpg
    660 felling b.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 660 felling c.jpg
    660 felling c.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 660 felling d carpenter bee.jpg
    660 felling d carpenter bee.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 15
It sounds like you were able to get for a pretty cheap price an official Stihl R&D test model that you actually worked on and have provenance for. A model that was deemed "too powerful" or at least that is what history may see :)
In my opinion that is a pretty rare collectible that should be left unmolested and would likely bring better than new money to the right people. Just a thought.
Dave

It sounds like you were able to get for a pretty cheap price an official Stihl R&D test model that you actually worked on and have provenance for. A model that was deemed "too powerful" or at least that is what history may see :)
In my opinion that is a pretty rare collectible that should be left unmolested and would likely bring better than new money to the right people. Just a thought.
Dave

Agreed. I don't use it for my everyday job. I rarely do on emergencies. I just realized one day that this lifetime happens once.. (English is my 2nd language..) And I do wanna enjoy the thrill of using it when no other saw can handle something, so not-too-often I take it out for a spin, or a little tour (LOL!) and I do take a really good care of it.. it's a baby of mine :)

* And as for the 1st point you made, It's a tad bit too heavy and bulky.. It makes me miss the 460 sometimes since getting used to the 660 makes you realize how slimmer the 460 is! Really!

Also - when the Germans decide that 77cc class engine is the right one for slicing concrete, and I have come to realize most (maybe all?) reasons why not the 92cc.. Only so late I leaned that they were right. Trust me :)

Cool story! I do believe in using and enjoying my possessions, even ones that have sentimental value. A friend had a Royal Ensign, was featured in a very long full color article in a magazine back when color was very expensive and lightly used. Never rode it even as he was dying and talking about getting another motorcycle to ride. I would have rode it like it was stolen for as long as I could enjoy it!

I worked in R&D too, long ago. Some really cool stuff and exciting times. I can understand the joy of having something that is a tangible reminder of those times. Ranks as one of my most favorite occupations, nothing like getting paid to stare out the window!

Hu

Latest posts

Back