A few critter splitter photo's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
split7.jpg

This one shows the linkage that kicks it out at 18". Works like a dream!

split9.jpg

The round drop table, and a good shot of the 3 way split.
Homemade hook sitting there.... Notice the round basket for staging.

split10.jpg

Another view of the beast.

split11.jpg

I figured out how to set the timer on the camera. I think I broke the lense!

But for now it is working. I have pushed some 24" green stuff over it. It complained, the beam flexes, but it split it.
Engine is gonna be replaced as soon as $$$ make it possible!
-Pat

You da man, Mcgyver. Plus, I noticed before and see again you got some nice scenery around there. I may have to copy some of your ideas. You don't have patents on anything do you? What is the purpose of the pipes behind the wedges over the drop table? Couldn't figure that out. Maybe to mount brake lights on when you go to the store?

Lemme explain:

tawilson said:
You da man, Mcgyver. Plus, I noticed before and see again you got some nice scenery around there. I may have to copy some of your ideas. You don't have patents on anything do you? What is the purpose of the pipes behind the wedges over the drop table? Couldn't figure that out. Maybe to mount brake lights on when you go to the store?

The pipes behind the wedges are there to get bent. Atleast that is sorta how it is going at the moment! Actually, they are there to hold up the upper hunk of log while I figure out what to do with the other two pieces. The ears are either gonna get removed, or shortened a bit.

The linkage is designed to kick the reverse out at 18 1/2 inches. saves time when splitting shorter stuff. The lever can be flipped back and then the cylinder makes a full stroke.

No patents, go for it. Lotsa luck. :blob6:
-Pat

Harley Davidson power??

04ultra said:
Patrick62 Are you going to make one with a big V-Twin ?? Might be interested..

I think 80 cubes would run a pump. Problem is cooling....

back to reality, I think one of the larger V twin engines (honda, B&S, etc) would make a excellent splitter engine. Lots o' bucks, but lots of power. I have a generator that uses a 16hp V twin runs like a watch. ;)

-Pat

TreeCo said:
Have you any ideas on how a regular log splitter valve could be controlled by a mechanical linkage making it auto returning? It would save many of us from spending those bucks. It seem it could be similar to what you have done already.

Thanks,

Dan

Interesting idea. I will have to think about that for a few days. Right now I would have to say "maybe".
"regular log splitter valve" is a single detent, right? The critter splitter uses one. I have to hold it to extend cylinder. So naturally my hand is there to push it into retract.

My little splitter (I'll get pix, for giggles) uses a double detent valve. More dangerous, but on small stuff it is faster. This one kicks to neutral on completion of stroke. Now enter the fancy valve that would kick to retract.... I see where they went with this idea.

If a splitter had a double detent valve then it would be possible to create some linkage that when the cylinder kicked out it would kick into retract. Ain't gonna be simple as the ram will have to set a spring on extend, and then when the handle kicks to neutral it will trip the spring causing the valve to flip into retract.

I could probably create something like that. There would be issues. My little splitter kicks out when it reaches a preset pressure in spite of not finishing the split. Then I have to hold the valve to finish the split. Just one example....

Spend the bucks is my suggestion. I know $$$ :bang:

-Pat

Awesome.

I like it a lot!

What it really needs is a big old fat tractor seat. One of them big sheetmetal pans that is mounted on springs, about an acre for each cheek.

Back