A few from humboldt county

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostcoastland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
5 acres of 3rd generation redwood suckers grew from stumps cut about 25 years ago. we.call them humboldt palms...:greenchainsaw:

So turns out we could cut the whole place down and it would be the same again in 75 years or so? lol.

Well in this case i dont think these are quite 75 years..i'd say there...well the math is out there..35 years...so you'd have huge trees in twice the time..Yes, it's liek they say on axe men that the PNW grows tree's..however i belive the south is still the largest producer of wood. heres a pic of some sprouts from 6-8 months ago..

almost 100% of the tree's i climb are those suckers growing off bigger stumps though. Even tree's that look independant can be reminants of stumps..its somewhat hazardous because the old stump rot and are have been know to rip off at the base...

mostly from people buying clear cut properties then 20 years later the sprouts are 100' trees...the quality of wood is pretty crappy though compared to the old stuff...these are just shoots, mostly sap and even the little bit of heart

doug firs and spruces come back..well it's different on the coast here.it seems like theres no dead trees... some snags from blown out tops from storms but you can climb a fir with spikes and top it and it'll be healthy looking bushy in a couple years...i'm sure that attitude doesnt fly well here but it's just common sense around here..:greenchainsaw: i've heard of old trees that started by being a huge top that stuck into the ground head first and grew.. Heres a article from a nearby towns website......addressing homeowners if they are considering planting a redwood..

WARNING! Even though a redwood is an awesome tree, Sequoia sempervirens is NOT a good choice for a suburban lot if you wish to remain a good neighbor. Even in average soil it will quickly overwhelm the surrounding area. After growing an extensive root system, a juvenile tree will generally add five or six feet to its height each year. It is easily capable of reaching a height of 120 to 150 feet during a person's lifetime. That's fifteen stories high.

The year-round heavy shade will not allow grass to grow and landscaping will be limited to shade-loving plants such as ferns. Winters underneath a redwood tree are cold and wet. Redwoods control the growth of other plants around them by 'bombing' them -- dropping chunks of wood and branches on competing plants (and your house.) The area around a mature redwood resembles a war zone. It is not possible to leave the paths in the redwood parks without having to clamber over the mess on the ground. The redwood is also by nature a messy tree, dropping a third of its branchlets each year as it renews them, clogging gutters and drains.

Its roots are very efficient at removing nutrients from your and your neighbor's soil. They are shallow and extend many feet from the tree, damaging foundations, driveways and cracking water and drain pipes. Many years after a tree's removal, the existing roots will continue to send up sprouts in the surrounding landscaping.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER top a redwood. The top of the trunk will then send up multiple sprouts. Each sprout will become a trunk and will grow its own branch system. These will accumulate a tremendous amount of weight. The sprout trees are attached only on one side and to the outside of the trunk, not the heartwood, and a strong wind will peel them right off the tree with devastating consequences.

The tree maintenance companies love redwood trees because of the job security. Its fast growth and large mass makes it very expensive to prune or to remove. If you absolutely have to have a redwood tree, consider the costs of maintaining it, and be sure your homeowner's liability insurance will pay for the damage it will do. There's a reason they're in the parks.

doug firs and spruces come back..well it's different on the coast here.it seems like theres no dead trees... some snags from blown out tops from storms but you can climb a fir with spikes and top it and it'll be healthy looking bushy in a couple years...i'm sure that attitude doesnt fly well here but it's just common sense around here..:greenchainsaw: i've heard of old trees that started by being a huge top that stuck into the ground head first and grew.. Heres a article from a nearby towns website......addressing homeowners if they are considering planting a redwood..

WARNING! Even though a redwood is an awesome tree, Sequoia sempervirens is NOT a good choice for a suburban lot if you wish to remain a good neighbor. Even in average soil it will quickly overwhelm the surrounding area. After growing an extensive root system, a juvenile tree will generally add five or six feet to its height each year. It is easily capable of reaching a height of 120 to 150 feet during a person's lifetime. That's fifteen stories high.

The year-round heavy shade will not allow grass to grow and landscaping will be limited to shade-loving plants such as ferns. Winters underneath a redwood tree are cold and wet. Redwoods control the growth of other plants around them by 'bombing' them -- dropping chunks of wood and branches on competing plants (and your house.) The area around a mature redwood resembles a war zone. It is not possible to leave the paths in the redwood parks without having to clamber over the mess on the ground. The redwood is also by nature a messy tree, dropping a third of its branchlets each year as it renews them, clogging gutters and drains.

Its roots are very efficient at removing nutrients from your and your neighbor's soil. They are shallow and extend many feet from the tree, damaging foundations, driveways and cracking water and drain pipes. Many years after a tree's removal, the existing roots will continue to send up sprouts in the surrounding landscaping.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER top a redwood. The top of the trunk will then send up multiple sprouts. Each sprout will become a trunk and will grow its own branch system. These will accumulate a tremendous amount of weight. The sprout trees are attached only on one side and to the outside of the trunk, not the heartwood, and a strong wind will peel them right off the tree with devastating consequences.

The tree maintenance companies love redwood trees because of the job security. Its fast growth and large mass makes it very expensive to prune or to remove. If you absolutely have to have a redwood tree, consider the costs of maintaining it, and be sure your homeowner's liability insurance will pay for the damage it will do. There's a reason they're in the parks.

Yep. Still I love redwood trees and I have 3 in my backyard. You are also correct re how bad 2nd growth redwood lumber is, very little resistance to rot or insects. The sapwood can be huge so that a 3' redwood produces very little good lumber.

I believe grand fir, noble fir, Douglass-fir, and several others will stump sprout. That is why xmas tree farms leave the bottom whirl of branches on the stump.

Latest posts

Back