A few Husky/Stihl questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bore_pig

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm going to shop for a new saw. I would like something in the 60cc range that will run a 20" bar all day. 3/8" pitch .050 gauge chain. Occasionally, I would want to run a 24" bar. I understand that the longer bar would probably be a bit much and I would have to cut a little slower.(Just nice to only make one cut on some of the larger trees I get into.)

The saws I am interested in are:Stihl MS310
Stihl MS290
Husky 357XP
Husky 455/460

Are there any pros/cons to the saws I've listed. What is this oilmatic thing? And the ematic bar? The husky saws seem more like the older saws I typically use. Are the stihl's that far advanced?

I have both Stihl and Husky dealers nearby. I do not plan on modding. Just want a saw that is good from the box. Please avoid the brand bashing. A little guidance is all that is being asked for. Thanks for any input!

The Stihl 290/310 you listed will only run a 20" bar. You have to step up to a 390 or the mythical 361 to be able to run a 24" bar.

If this becomes another 361 thread my head is going to explode.

Get a 357XP or possibly a 359 if you're not going to be running it hard everyday.

Alot of people do not like the 455. I have one and am very happy with, but I would never go past the 20" bar. Just picked up a used 365 Husky and the one quick cut I made with the 20" was very impressive. I could really feel the extra 1 HP or so and it would not have a problem with a 24" bar. If you really want a 24" I would look at the 357XL. Go with what feels good for you.

A muffler modded MS390 would be fine for a 25", a muff modded 361 is nice with a 25" also but more expensive. Skip chain on either of those saws would put less of a load on the saw but vibe more also......

If you are condsidering the 357xp, think about the MS361 also. Both of these are pro saws, built well and will last a long time. Most 25"+ saws are 70cc though, like a 440/441/460, they really rip wood with a longer bar.

I must have overlooked the 359. Looks like it would be a pretty good fit for me. Do you guys know if it has any weak points. I don't run my saws every day. Just on the weekends for home heating wood. When I do run my saws, I run them pretty hard. I would like to get a saw that will last.

A 359 would be my pick. And really wakes up with a muffler mod.Stock,it still has the power to do what you want.:)

I am sorry to disappoint. Maybe someday I will just break down and buy an 009 and a 361 so I can be just like you guys, but in the meantime my evil orange saws and ancient Made in USA saws will have to git'er done.

I'm just giving ya a hard time. I have a 361, great saw, but don't think it's God's gift to us saw nuts, that would be the 440 and 460.:clap:

Get a 357XP or possibly a 359 if you're not going to be running it hard everyday.

I would have to agree. Currently I have a 359. I always thought that it was a pro saw until I came on the site and was advised otherwise. I love the saw. I run it with a 20 b/c and it cuts very well. The plan sometime in the near future is to purchase a 357xp. Do I really need another saw in the same general class? No. Will I buy one? Only time will tell.

If you get a chance to try them out that would be the best thing to do. See what feels right for you and fall into your budget. Good luck.

Be safe,

Adam

Is there a site where I can at least get an idea of husky prices. A 455 is $400. That's the only husky price I know. I'm surprised to see the MS361 listed at $599.

A 359 with a ported 357 p&c is one mean *****.:chainsaw:

I agree! For the money,it can't be beat.And later down the road he could always mod it.It can easily be modded to run with a 066.The case volume all ows for that.:clap:

He's not going to mod it.....

I'm going to shop for a new saw. I would like something in the 60cc range that will run a 20" bar all day. 3/8" pitch .050 gauge chain. Occasionally, I would want to run a 24" bar. I understand that the longer bar would probably be a bit much and I would have to cut a little slower.(Just nice to only make one cut on some of the larger trees I get into.)

The saws I am interested in are:Stihl MS310
Stihl MS290
Husky 357XP
Husky 455/460

Are there any pros/cons to the saws I've listed. What is this oilmatic thing? And the ematic bar? The husky saws seem more like the older saws I typically use. Are the stihl's that far advanced?

I have both Stihl and Husky dealers nearby. I do not plan on modding. Just want a saw that is good from the box. Please avoid the brand bashing. A little guidance is all that is being asked for. Thanks for any input!
Based on your above choices, the 357xp is by far better built and a better saw than the others, however it is fairly expensive. If I was going to spend $600 on a saw, I would really take a look at the Stihl 361. I've run them both, and have a 361. The Husky 359 is a solid saw, with pro construction and identical build to the 357xp, but doesn't quite have the same performance as the 357 or 361. However, it will be about $150 less. Most 359's these days come with Cat mufflers, which you will want to replace quickly (add $45) due to the heat they generate and power that they rob ( I guess that is kind of a mod though).

So, given that you'd really want to lose the cat muffler on any new 359, I guess you're down to the 357xp or if you want to consider it, the Stihl 361. I run a 20" bar on mine, but lots of guys around here put 25" on them.

And if we want to get into "saw creep" a bit, you may want to step up $100 and look at a Husky 372xp. It's got 70cc's, but will run 20-28" bars with authority, and is extremely versatile. Most folks would agree that this is one of the best saws on the market, period. You can find these new on ebay for $699 shipped. That's be pretty close to what a 361 or 357 would be from a dealer inc tax. Just food for thought......

I must have overlooked the 359. Looks like it would be a pretty good fit for me. Do you guys know if it has any weak points. I don't run my saws every day. Just on the weekends for home heating wood. When I do run my saws, I run them pretty hard. I would like to get a saw that will last.

Get the 359, it will cut just as fast and is 150 to 175 less than the 361. I've ran the 359's for years and they hold up very well and have enough grunt to pull a 24" bar fairly easily if you keep a sharp chain. I bought the 361 and honestly don't see what all the hype is when you factor in the price.

A muffler modded MS390 would be fine for a 25", a muff modded 361 is nice with a 25" also but more expensive. Skip chain on either of those saws would put less of a load on the saw but vibe more also......

If you are condsidering the 357xp, think about the MS361 also. Both of these are pro saws, built well and will last a long time. Most 25"+ saws are 70cc though, like a 440/441/460, they really rip wood with a longer bar.

The solution is the 361 as usual, and skip chain.........:givebeer:

...or a 372xp/2171 with full comp - just forget the Stihls in the 70cc+ category......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back