A Fuel Comment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to here you give a recommendation for that one. I have not tried it yet but did pick some up the other day.

Do you mind sharing why you recommend it? How did you test it?

I scratch my head when people talk about Marine Stabil as I have not seen where it is advertised in helping with ethanol problems. The Stabil ethanol formula dose work, I gave it a 6 month test winter before last in my golf cart and mower. When checked in the spring 6 months later there was no sign of any ethanol separation and the new fuel lines I had put on the mower were still like new.

Last winter I ended up doing a 7 month test on the same two things but used StarTron and again got the same results but for what its worth the gas smelled fresher when using the StarTron.

I was looking for the StarTron a while back and couldn't find any when I picked up the Ethanol Shield so I will try it as well.

The marine stabil has more to do with water than ethanol...I think. And ethanol attracts water.

Deprecated Browser Error

Reading through all this it appears they have changed the Stabil formulas within the last year and have new instructions for former applications.

They sell that startron at autozone now if you have those near you. I would buy some, but we get good ethanol free here, so I use just regular old stabil. Not even sure why I do it, I never have a jug of mix over a month anyway.

KR24=I'll probably get bashed for saying this but owner neglect has a lot to do with the bad gas problems. I didn't say all but some.
I agree,see it all the time.Been in the tree trade longer than I want to remember...Half the probs are carb related.
Out here in the boonies..One pump station.Price?5.35 for reg!Make my own gas.Mix 1 gal water to 3gal fuel.Phase separation..alky mixes well with gas,but it mixes better with water.I siphon off the gas.Been doing this for over two yrs.Gotta use at least 92 because alky is an octane booster(2.5-3 points)That'll bring 92 down to about 89.A good mix baileys with stabilizer, no more problems.
A few more points.E-10 alky is a solvent.At the beginning of th 10 fiasco.the alky was removing all that varnish etc.from fuel lines and carbs and clogging up the system,as well as softening fuel lines and carb parts.Also I read that temp readings at the muffler were up to 150deg. higher at the muffler.So...got the bar buried.muffler up against wood.No where for that heat to go..usually fries the piston on the exhaust side.

Last edited:
Poor carb and sprocket rim! Carb will clean up well but...the sprocket rim has seen better days. You can get a new one for cheap.

Latest posts

Back