A good laugh, was going to buy a saw off a guy today. Warning foul language.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A properly maintained bar and chain goes a long way in to seeing how a saw was used. In my experience that if you have a well maintained bar and chain, then you would have a well maintained saw as well. If you have a saw and you keep it sharp, removing burrs from the bar, keeping the chain maintained to proper specs, you would not have the unusual paint wear on the bar. In return the saw would be working with all parts doing equal amount of work as designed. When one part of the saw doing more work than the other parts, this would cause more wear on the parts that are being forced to over compensate. Over compensation would directly related to more sprocket wear, Mount wear and engine wear.

I am in no way claiming to be an expert but only going by my experience of seeing first hand the wear and tear on my equipment from someone else using my saws while I am away. Most of my saw failures generally happen to my equipment while I am away and someone else who could care less if the saw is operating at peek performance thus forcing the saw to cut rather than the saw cutting on its own.

I can opperate my saw , taking the time to sharpen and tweak the bar and chain to keep running a strait line, pulling itself through the wood on its on and never have an issue. I leave to go on vacation come back to a saw that has to go to the shop for new mounts. Or I must spend an hour to recondition the bar and sharpen the chain, clean the air filter, so on and so on. All because the saw was not being maintained while it is being used by someone else. I also see that the paint is missing from the bar during this time of someone else using it and it is from running the saw while it is dull. The evidence is right in front of me , the saw is dull, has been rocked, nosed in the dirt.

So knowing that I keep my saw maintained and my paint missing on the bar is very minimal, and I can say that I cut more wood than the average guy. I must wonder what the wear and tear is on a used saw when the bar is missing over 90% of its paint.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

I respectfully disagree with your paint assessment. I have been cutting and selling firewood every week of the year for 14 years and know how to run a saw, better get that out of the way first. It all depends on what your cutting as to how long the paint lasts. I am lucky to get 10 cords of juniper and still have any paint left on the bar. So to say a saw was mistreated. By paint on the bar is very naive to say the least.

Great area. Lots of current and retired military (such as yourself) which makes for people with good values.
Why thank you sir very nice of you. Yeah a lot of retired and active military here. Tyndall Air Force Base is here also the Naval Coastal Systems Center. We live out in the woods in the outskirts of town. Really like it here. Thanks again

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I respectfully disagree with your paint assessment. I have been cutting and selling firewood every week of the year for 14 years and know how to run a saw, better get that out of the way first. It all depends on what your cutting as to how long the paint lasts. I am lucky to get 10 cords of juniper and still have any paint left on the bar. So to say a saw was mistreated. By paint on the bar is very naive to say the least.
I have thought about this and was going to banter back with you but I am not going to get into a match of who's Jonsered is bigger. Not saying that the opportunity to gut punch you isn't or wouldn't be fun. I am just going to agree to disagree with you. But if you would like to start funding my chainsaw purchases, I will buy them how ever you say. Till then have a good day and may God bless you.

I think I'm thinking the same way.

My last find was an MS360. The bar on it was toast - the groove was twice as wide as it should have been and it needed dressed, there was bluing on the edges, and the nose wheel was half bound up. One before that was an MS250. Its bar was toast also, same shape but its nose wheel was falling apart. Both still had most of their paint on.

I think I'm thinking the same way.

My last find was an MS360. The bar on it was toast - the groove was twice as wide as it should have been and it needed dressed, there was bluing on the edges, and the nose wheel was half bound up. One before that was an MS250. Its bar was toast also, same shape but its nose wheel was falling apart. Both still had most of their paint on.
I understand everyone's point on this subject and although I like to find humor and have a good time with everything I do, I would rather it not turn into a peeing match and ones feelings get hurt.

I can safely say that I am no stranger to a saw or hard work. Nor will I say that I have never gotten in a hurry and poured more smoke on a saw than what it deserved. It only threw a flag in the air as to how a saw was or is treated when the bar is missing 90% of its paint. And I know this is not a determining factor of how a saw had been treated because God knows that a guy can buy a new bar and throw on a saw and make things appear to be golden.

Being that said, I hope that I have not offended anyone with my word and if so, I am sorry. Now I know a lot of guys cut a lot of wood and saws do take on different wear and tear. Although I have not been selling firewood as long as others, I have cut my fair share.
Good day gentlemen and may everyone be blessed today.

I would say my very limited experience (I never win those measuring contests) that on my bars paint wear and tear is equivalanet to me using the saw in ways it really shouldn't be. I cut a mix of most of the wood you find in Ohio, but rock hard standing dead locust, oak and elm isn't exactly butta. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Did it state original bar on saw? I have a few bars for my saws, could have been swapped out for older bar.

Sounds like a lot of drama over a homeowner saw........

Did it state original bar on saw? I have a few bars for my saws, could have been swapped out for older bar.

Sounds like a lot of drama over a homeowner saw........
He lead me to believe it was the original bar of only 6 months old.
No drama at all, just good Ole opinions of what others think. It nice to other people views.

I have thought about this and was going to banter back with you but I am not going to get into a match of who's Jonsered is bigger. Not saying that the opportunity to gut punch you isn't or wouldn't be fun. I am just going to agree to disagree with you. But if you would like to start funding my chainsaw purchases, I will buy them how ever you say. Till then have a good day and may God bless you.

Well when I buy a used chainsaw I always inspect the saw and look for any signs of misuse and abuse. I check for build up of fine saw dust, any leaks, pull the muffler and inspect the piston and cylinder and do a compression test on it. I start up and run the saw and if none of these are allowed I won't buy the saw. Condition of the power head and how it runs are much better indicators of how good a saw is over how a bar looks. Bars are easily replaceable and hopefully you can take my advice on what to inspect on a used saw and not get screwed over because of a good looking bar on a saw.

Well when I buy a used chainsaw I always inspect the saw and look for any signs of misuse and abuse. I check for build up of fine saw dust, any leaks, pull the muffler and inspect the piston and cylinder and do a compression test on it. I start up and run the saw and if none of these are allowed I won't buy the saw. Condition of the power head and how it runs are much better indicators of how good a saw is over how a bar looks. Bars are easily replaceable and hopefully you can take my advice on what to inspect on a used saw and not get screwed over because of a good looking bar on a saw.
Agreed
I like to chat guy up a bit to try to learn how honest he is before wasting my time to go look at it first.

d826a30b7f991f7fe2ecbece6731276a.jpg
6cc5e3b1213c57d8fd883b7c13e2fddf.jpg

This is my 441 cm and when I bought it kept the chains sharp and never pressed on the bar but ran the hell the out of it !
Clean it with a qtip every year but the bar groove wore out before the paint wore off the bar and can't recall how many cords of hedge are through this saw but many
It doesn't cut straight but it still good enough for firewood
It is the original bar and years ago I read that you should get a minimum of 10 chains per bar if kept up to snuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back