A good way to spend a Friday evening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Currie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I took this tree down last evening. It was leaning towards the neighbour's house and had already shed a couple big limbs on that side. It gives the cedars beside it a little more room to fill out as well. Anyway, it was a fun couple of hours.

On my way up:
attachment.php

Not sure what I was up to right here:
attachment.php

My groundsperson didn't take any pictures of me up higher, because he was on the rope at that point:
attachment.php

I really need to invest in a 200t:
attachment.php

2 more cuts, chunk pieces down and drop the spar.
attachment.php

man what an ugly job!! why all the stubs? you must be a part timer. :dizzy: glade to see you put saftey first. i agree you need a top handle saw.

Those stubs came off, don't worry. I made those stubs with my hand saw, then cut them back with the 272. So yeah, ugly up to a point, but what removal doesn't when it's half done?

Last edited:
Those stubs came off, don't worry. I made those stubs with my hand saw, then cut them back with the 272. So yeah, ugy up to a point, but what removal doesn't when it's half done?
Answer:
Mine! No, just a joke. Nice little job there. I don't think it looked ugly for a guy doing it with a handsaw and a big ass chain saw. Fine job!
get that little 20, get 2 of em.
Here is ugly:
Taking down an ash the other day: all I had to do was climb up 12 feet amd notch about 8 leads out and done. After 2 limbs hit the ground I start cutting the nubs off when my saw runs out of gas. I ask the groundies to please stop what they are doing and grab my other saw, I felt bad bothering them. I get my other saw fired up and get 3/4 throgh a 8 inch horn and that saw runs out of gas. So with my third 20 in the shop they send me one of thiers. Dull and you have to choke it to shut it off.I finish blowing out the rest and working on the horns. Due to having to pull like crazy to get this saw running because everytime you want it to stop you have to choke it I was trying to position for another cut with it running in my right hand when all the sudden that little saw must of saw another saw it liked because it just popped out of my hand and hit the concrete 6 feet below.
I saw 500 light up on the billboard in my head but the saw stayed running with just a little crack on the chain cover. The saw had other cracks and some JB weld on the gas tank before I touched it.
I ususally gas my saws before I put them away, I must of forgot( again) and look at what it caused. OH, the horror! That's what you call ugly.

Thanks Nails. I do agree that the 272 is a great saw. I'd like to get a bigger bar for it, but we'll see. I could have done 95% of that tree with a 200t though. Not one of treemandan's saws though.. haha.. good story..

And for WLL's comment about me being a part-timer, the answer would be yes, this is a parttime thing for me right now. I love doing it, I have done it full time, I'm looking to do it full time and hopefully will be working at it on my own (well, 2 of us) full time. If I can stay busy this summer at it 3 or 4 nights a week and most saturdays, I'll be happy. So I guess 30+ hours a week on top of my regular day job is parttime. :)

The only problem is, something's gotta give.. either music (playing/singing 3-4 times a week), arboriculture or a day job I hate. I guess it's a no-brainer.

Nice work, one thing I notice that you have your safety strap around a stub, third picture, I prefer to wrap the trunk of the tree. Stubs can break out and that would be a major problem. See that you have 2 tie-in and that is all good. Also realize the tree is probably alive and the likely that the stub would break off is minimal. However if the tree was dead it would be a different story. I prefer to think on the side of the worst case scenario, so wrapping the trunk or main part of the tree is safer to me. something to think about. Also a smaller saw would be great, there are a few threads around about the 192t and other saws that do not carry the $$$ of the 200t, which is hard to justify for a part timer. Swinging that big saw around is going to take a toll on your elbows, wrist and shoulders. be careful.;)

Thanks Nails. I do agree that the 272 is a great saw. I'd like to get a bigger bar for it, but we'll see. I could have done 95% of that tree with a 200t though. Not one of treemandan's saws though.. haha.. good story..

And for WLL's comment about me being a part-timer, the answer would be yes, this is a parttime thing for me right now. I love doing it, I have done it full time, I'm looking to do it full time and hopefully will be working at it on my own (well, 2 of us) full time. If I can stay busy this summer at it 3 or 4 nights a week and most saturdays, I'll be happy. So I guess 30+ hours a week on top of my regular day job is parttime. :)

The only problem is, something's gotta give.. either music (playing/singing 3-4 times a week), arboriculture or a day job I hate. I guess it's a no-brainer.

Not for the money, exqusite tools, the thrill of height, the 14 miles of colorful rope do I toil. Its the stories.

Instead of a 200T could you not use maybe a 40-50cc conventional saw. It would save some weight and be easier on the arms.

I'm also looking at a 346xp, but not for a tree saw. I just don't like the feeling of a longer saw hanging off my belt. But, given the option, yeah, I'd rather a smaller saw in the tree would be better. I'm thinking a longer bar on the 272, a 346 and a 200t would have me just about covered. Well, a start anyway. :)

Gotta go with Dadatwins

the 192 would be a great saw for ya. its about $200 less than the 200. It doesnt quite have the cajones, and its a little colder natured. but for an evening climber, it would be a sound investment that could last quite some time

CornHuskers......

Well thats just silly lol. Im sure they would be happy to order one for you. Ask them to put it on their next shipment and you shouldnt get charged anything but the standard $309. It can take awhile to get there if they dont have to order anything for a month or so tho....

Swinging that big saw around is going to take a toll on your elbows, wrist and shoulders. be careful.;)

Maybe, but it will build up a set of guns the women will love! lol

Mark, i say stick with the 272 if you are going to do strictly removals. Get a smaller saw if you are going to do alot of trimming too. I do removals for a living and the 200t only gets pulled out to limb a pine or spruce on the way up. Otherwise, my 357xp is my main saw. I hate having to switch to four different saws while doing a tree-by the time my 357 can't handle it, it's time to break out the 395.

Back