A hard calk life for me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll be a month or two down the line at least before I even get a working mock up of the 100% originals, in the meantime it doesn't take much to burn a set of factory calks up... unless I left the matches out again... then it could be difficult getting the torch started...

The more people get interested the more effort I'll put into making it a reality, the first 1000 calks are probably going to end up costing me 2-4 dollars a piece, there will be some significant tooling costs... once that's out of the way I hope... to have the costs down to something us working stiffs can handle.

twice is about right, took the time and burned up a whole set awhile ago, picked up some Viberg brand calks over the weekend I'll try them out next,

They get kinda ugly in the "furnace" and I still have some consistency issues, all things that just need more patience to work out.

Shoot if they last twice as long and you can't get em anywhere else I wouldn't charge less for em that just don't make sense.

Northman didn't you said the Phillips were a pain to harden because the plate comes off right? Once I get working next month I'll have to send some kind of caulk up to you to harden.

Ive been wanting to get some hardened but I haven't been in the woods werin em down. Still might not be with the new job so much. I'm at least buying a new pair of lace up corks to replace the Hoffman's I have. Gonna go with the Meindel calks Hoffmans sells and see how they do. I've had good luck with Meindels through Cabelas so we'll see how they do as a cork. Get the ankle support of a lace up with the waterproofness of a rubber without it bein rubber lol.

The philips do loose about 1/2 of their warshers, but they are relatively easy to reassemble. Oliver Hammer in Sedro Woolly has Viberg branded calks which I'm hoping will be better as they are the guys that kind of started the replaceable calk thing... I'll use fresher water next time so I don't have nearly as much goobers on the calks... (had a can I lit some "extra" diesel in... the soot got everywhere...)

Haven't found champs locally in a very long time. Still available mail order though.

Remind me to make some phone calls to some other more realistic machine shops... on getting my own design off the ground.

I could harden them up and bill ya for em? Although I haven't had a chance to test them at all yet, they may already be hard, and any messing with em could ruin that...

Gimme a couple days... its really ****ing dark when I get home and the forge has no lights what so ever... not to mention I wan't to test them first... otherwise OH does do the mail order thing... course if this wind keeps up won't be any lights...

Well... nearly a year later...

Just installed the Vibergs, unhardened... With the last of the phillips hardened calks in the heel of one boot, we shall see..

Kinda got off the whole making my own thing, would have to get a machine, and start my own machine shop to make it happen... and I'm ****ing sick of that industry anyway, can't seem to get anyone to take me serious...

Besides heating up a batch with the weed dragon don't take too terribly long.

Well... nearly a year later...

Just installed the Vibergs, unhardened... With the last of the phillips hardened calks in the heel of one boot, we shall see..

Kinda got off the whole making my own thing, would have to get a machine, and start my own machine shop to make it happen... and I'm ****ing sick of that industry anyway, can't seem to get anyone to take me serious...

Besides heating up a batch with the weed dragon don't take too terribly long.
I take you serious Mang!

Latest posts

Back