Those weird "Square Base" calks I was talking about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madhatte

It's The Water
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A few of you will probably remember me lamenting that I couldn't find the calks I used to like, which had a square base and an odd adapter. I used to get them at Madsen's (this is 1996-1998 era), who sold them as "golf spikes", but haven't seen them in forever. Finally tracked them down, from the manufacturer Omni-Lite, who sold me the last six boxes that are known to exist. The folks I talked to had never seen them before, and nobody remembered where they came from or when, and the glue holding the plastic to the cardboard had all dried up and fallen off, so what I got was a bunch of loose spikes in a cardboard box, with their original containers floating on top like capsized lifeboats. Without further ado, here's what I've got.

temporary_zpsb5318803.jpg

On the left is the "square" spike I have been looking for for so long. I got 75 of these. On the right, for comparison, are the standard Champ logger spikes you can get anywhere. In the center is something new I haven't seen before, which is a spike that has both the square base and indents for a standard calk wrench. It's odd to me that they don't come to a sharp point, but I suspect that they might last pretty well that way, as they don't have points to lose length from.

I always got good wear from the silver ones. I'll use what I have now and then try out the gold ones. I don't suppose it matters much what I think of them, though, as there aren't any more to get to replace them, as they are no longer produced and I just cleaned out the manufacturer of all they had, but I guess there might still be a few hanging around in a warehouse somewhere.

Back