Chainsaw missing days after tree service visit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

056kid

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Makita battery powered chainsaw that I wanted to return due to being gutless as can be, disappeared from my shed after I had a tree service come clean the limbs from a few trees I fell. They came on the 31st of last month.
I don't live at the house so I have no idea when it happened, but when I went to get it from the shed on the 14th, it was gone.

It doesn't take a genius to put things together.

What should I do? What would you do?
I've got the box & recipe, but I imagine that they probably destroyed any ID numbers.
Confronting them could be problematic. Maybe the boss is in on it, maybe he's unaware. If the latter is true, then perhaps he would get to the bottom of things with his employees? There's the cops, & There's google reviews. Don't think either of those will help.

I've had saws sitting on the front porch for months & months, nobody steals around there. Of course I can't be 100% positive about this. But ****, what else could've happened? If someone gifted my last tenant a tractor & trailer load of 123cc mccullochs, he'd trade them for a bag of weed. He could not care less about chainsaws, or hard work. There's nobody left to suspect.
The house is 3 hours from where I live, so doing PI work is not doable. I haven't spoken to my trustworthy neighbor about it yet, he's pretty vigilant though. I have a feeling that it happened late at night.
Lock your sheds I guess..

That's the only thing missing? Other things of value there that didn't grow legs?

I can tell you from experience thieves are attracted to low/no activity homes like flies on crap. My home got hit years ago when I was working out of town. I worked a specific schedule and they were quick to nail it down. But they cleaned house. Your loss sounds pretty targeted.

The best thing going forward is a camera or 3. Especially being you aren't there. This likely won't be the last time. I used to think the same as you, that stuff don't happen here. Until it did.

They just took the makita. The only other saws in the shed are an ms170, a derelict 028wb, & an xl12. The two 42" Cannon bars are still hanging there. The weedwacker, still there.
I did find that one of my basement windows was missing half of the locking mechanism. Definitely not something I did. It could've been the tenant that broke it, but thst seems unlikely.
Everything is still in the house.
I had 2 of those harbor freight tarp garages in the driveway for years. There was tons of items to pilfer in them & nothing ever vanished.
I do need cameras, I just don't want ones that are on a network. I'll be spending roughly half of my time there until I've got enough of a refresh done to get it back on the rental market.
I think I'll talk to the neighbor who calls me any time he sees someone other than myself over there.

Put up a camera. Put it high up in a tree looking down. My good cameras are in a lock box.
I have some game cameras that do not even work that I put up to get their attention and I also put up signs cameras in use, SMILE.

They may have returned that gutless saw for you and forgot to give you the refund or just hope they do not hurt themselves using it and sue you.:buttkick:

Sounds like you were extremely lucky. Cumulatively things could have gotten expensive.
Cameras are great for watching remote areas. I get not wanting to have one connected to a network to watch your daily routines (I don't either) but something like your situation sounds like it would be a good tool to use.

If a tree guy wanted to steal something,I think he’d grab something other than an electric saw.Doubt the the boss would risk his good name and business name and allow it,a business rep is as important as making a profit ,it’s his future,what? For an electric chainsaw?jmho

If a tree guy wanted to steal something,I think he’d grab something other than an electric saw.Doubt the the boss would risk his good name and business name and allow it,a business rep is as important as making a profit ,it’s his future,what? For an electric chainsaw?jmho

Right: A tree guy or anyone that knows chainsaws would pass on the wimpy non fossil fuel electric especially with other more desirable saws in the pile.
Kinda sounds like some kids that wanted a toy, but now days NOTHING surprises me as to how people act.

Find out which crew members were there that day, then get a Detective to look up which one of them has a history of theft. Stalk all their Facebook accounts and see what you can learn. Even google their names and if they have a past it may come up. You need to know who was there that day. Google all the reviews for that Tree service also.

What about workers that have a drug problem?

The Makita battery powered chainsaw that I wanted to return due to being gutless as can be, disappeared from my shed after I had a tree service come clean the limbs from a few trees I fell. They came on the 31st of last month.
I don't live at the house so I have no idea when it happened, but when I went to get it from the shed on the 14th, it was gone.

It doesn't take a genius to put things together.

What should I do? What would you do?
I've got the box & recipe, but I imagine that they probably destroyed any ID numbers.
Confronting them could be problematic. Maybe the boss is in on it, maybe he's unaware. If the latter is true, then perhaps he would get to the bottom of things with his employees? There's the cops, & There's google reviews. Don't think either of those will help.

I've had saws sitting on the front porch for months & months, nobody steals around there. Of course I can't be 100% positive about this. But ****, what else could've happened? If someone gifted my last tenant a tractor & trailer load of 123cc mccullochs, he'd trade them for a bag of weed. He could not care less about chainsaws, or hard work. There's nobody left to suspect.
The house is 3 hours from where I live, so doing PI work is not doable. I haven't spoken to my trustworthy neighbor about it yet, he's pretty vigilant though. I have a feeling that it happened late at night.
Lock your sheds I guess..

Lay off the pills, and stay away from your keyboard for a week.......your spouting like a qanon shamin

Sorry bud, I think you're screwed on this. You have no evidence, just supposition.

Unless one of the guys is busted with the saw at some point, and you have serial numbers recorded proving it was yours, your best bet is to take this as a relatively inexpensive lesson to lock stuff up, and put up cameras.

If you don’t live there ,how do you know,really,who was there,at what times,besides them?Also you’re supposing ,someone you don’t know,has a drug problem? Tree guys,and I know some,may like their beer at the end of the day,some may even light up de spliff after work,mon,but,not on the job,no boss would take that chance,not any responsible owner,boss or foreman.
Sorry for your loss man,but,your loss,?it’s due to your lack of security,no one to blame but yourself.I had me a nice Makita chain saw once trimming bushes near house,left it on the tailgate, drove around the back,little later I heard a screech,thought nothing, later I found pieces along the road still got it in a box! Whose fault was that? I ate humble pie that day.

Sorry for your loss man,but,your loss,?it’s due to your lack of security,no one to blame but yourself.

When some people sing, angels get their wings. With this sentence, an angel got brain damage. What utter and complete hogwash.

The thief is to blame, not the victim.

Back