A little pecan takedown today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hal a chance to take down a pecan stem for a contractor today.

Ha

lView attachment 241940View attachment 241941View attachment 241942View attachment 241943View attachment 241944
241940d1339891690-p1010005-1086-jpg

241941d1339891721-p1010004-1068-jpg

241942d1339891732-p1010006-1068-jpg

241943d1339891743-p1010007-1068-jpg

241944d1339891757-p1010008-1068-jpg

Hal

Last edited:
Nice score, but.... (sorry - somebody's got to say it!)

your stump sure looks awful! ;)

Any particular notch you were using, or were you doing a 'James the Narcoleptic' type cut? :msp_biggrin::rolleyes2:

Ugly yes. But the stem went down where I wanted it to. Only had a few feet to spare getting it down.

Did know I would be graded on the stump though.

Hal

If indeed it is for firewood why are they cut in so small of chunks? Judging by the the pictures they look to be mostly cut 10 to 12 inches.

Actually the heat got to me today. Had to carry the pieces a good distance uphill to the trailer. Smaller pieces = lighter. Cut the normal size in half.

Hal

I hear ya on the uphill climb Wolf. I can get overheated carrying wood uphill in the dead of winter.
I like to see those Stihls on the work site. Seen one being used the other day on a construction site just outside of town. Made me grin. :chainsawguy:

Nice wood man, a fun day! Next time take a wheelbarrow with ya!

I've just recently started using my handtruck to move big rounds around the yard here. Finally hit that stage of "work smarter, not harder" instead of carrying or rolling the big ones around. I've always enjoyed the..physicality, the exercise of grunting around wood, but got to live in my own real world now where I ain't 20 years old with a good back and some extra beef on the bones...hmm, ain't 30 either...nor 40....see ya later 50....dang hit 60, need two bowls of wheaties now to do half as much work, to get twice as tired... HAHAHAHAHAHA

I was even thinking of making a permanent "noodling station" some place for the oddball bummer wood pile, something that would securely hold the logs I want to cut up that suck to split. I got very picky with the fiskars because I have so much to do. Still working the design out in my head though, would need sacrificial pieces to absorb the last bit of the cut. Kill two birds with one stone and put small logs in place, crossways, small, to hold the noodle round steady, little logs that need bucking as well. then have the main work area up high enough so you could slide a bucket in there below on the ground right in front of everything to catch the noodles.

Or something, haven't built anything yet.

Ugly yes. But the stem went down where I wanted it to. Only had a few feet to spare getting it down.

Did know I would be graded on the stump though.

Hal

And that's why I don't post pics of my stumps! I really suck at felling, but so far everything has fallen where it was supposed to. I even impressed myself a couple times, but no stump pics! :D

Nice wood man, a fun day! Next time take a wheelbarrow with ya!

I've just recently started using my handtruck to move big rounds around the yard here. Finally hit that stage of "work smarter, not harder" instead of carrying or rolling the big ones around. I've always enjoyed the..physicality, the exercise of grunting around wood, but got to live in my own real world now where I ain't 20 years old with a good back and some extra beef on the bones...hmm, ain't 30 either...nor 40....see ya later 50....dang hit 60, need two bowls of wheaties now to do half as much work, to get twice as tired... HAHAHAHAHAHA

I was even thinking of making a permanent "noodling station" some place for the oddball bummer wood pile, something that would securely hold the logs I want to cut up that suck to split. I got very picky with the fiskars because I have so much to do. Still working the design out in my head though, would need sacrificial pieces to absorb the last bit of the cut. Kill two birds with one stone and put small logs in place, crossways, small, to hold the noodle round steady, little logs that need bucking as well. then have the main work area up high enough so you could slide a bucket in there below on the ground right in front of everything to catch the noodles.

Or something, haven't built anything yet.

The idea of a wheel barrow or a hand truck is great. I have both. Actually thought about it just after I saw where the tree was. For trees that are close I put my tractor (JD 3520) om the trailer and use it. That is a great work saver. Then just drive it home, have my better half take me back and drive the truck and trailer home.

Should probably learn to think about how to move the wood BEFORE I leave rather than after.

Hal

I have a 310 that is really a 390 now, thanks to STUMPY. Also a 066 and 880 that were worked on by Brad Snelling.

Hal

Nice saws, I had a 390 a while ago and sold it. It pulled pretty well. Those 066's are crazy and have lots of power! What size bar are you running on that 066 ? That 880 is a big saw as well. Congrats on the cut too :)

Latest posts

Back