A little suckage perhaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rx7man

Cattle Rubbing Post
Reaction score
I picked up a few saws today...

A Stihl somethingrather.. 038? 044? perhaps? , complete except for air filter cover, piston is MINT, air filter looks like it has never been run, a little faded on the outside since it didn't have a cover on it, backside looks new, has spark.
A Stihl 064, complete except for muffler, decent shape, I think it was parked because of a blown gasket in on the oil reservoir just under the muffler, has compression, spark, and a clean carb.

2 Husky 2100's, both complete except for air filter cover, the first has amazing compression, spark, will be easy to get running, broken full wrap handle that is probably weldable.
The second had water in it when I saw it 3 weeks ago, (no carb or cover), dumped the water out and filled it with oil and it cranked over fine, today I pulled the jug and the top ring was pretty seized, the second ring came out with some convincing, jug is perfect, piston is OK, bottom end doesn't show any rust (I think it only got wet in the last month)
And lastly, a 181SE basketcase, it's sat outside for YEARS, it's easier for me to list the parts I have than what's missing... I have the case, P&C, flywheel, muffler, and secondary coil. It's the dual thin ring both stuck like heck but perhaps if I heat the piston they'll release. Cylinder is MINT (very very surprised!), Piston is a little scuffed, but could be salvaged

From left to right
Stihl ??, "wet" husky 2100, 064, good 2100, 181SE

20151025_163201sm.jpg

One more question... The 181 SE's.. did they share the crankcase of the 272/61's? I see they're a 38mm stroke, but I know when I stroked the 61 from 34 to 36mm I had NO extra space in the crankcase to be able to fit another 1mm of throw.. my tolerances are so darned tight as it is. What's the opinion of those thin ring saws? I guess they wouldn't chatter at high RPM? Only difference I could see in the casings by naked eye was the coil mount locations.

Looks like an 038 from here? Could check for a series number on some parts - 1119 I think? If there's no choke lever on the carb it's an 038. Choke flap was in the air filter in those

It probably is an 038.. choke is in the air filter. I'll probably bring it to the GTG next week, even if it isn't running (I think it'll run without much problem).

Did the 281's also use the thin rings? Were they prone to sticking?

I will probably be bringing one of the 2100's, I won't have time to get more than 1 running by then.. the manhattan project will come, 1 or 2 husky 65's, maybe the Ford saw, my neighbor's 394 I just made (vids in my workshop thread)

It probably is an 038.. choke is in the air filter. I'll probably bring it to the GTG next week, even if it isn't running (I think it'll run without much problem).

Did the 281's also use the thin rings? Were they prone to sticking?

thin rings were not so much prone to sticking as they were to losing force against the cylinder walls. is it low on compression?

it had absolutely none.. both rings stuck solid, perhaps I can free them with some heat... but what do you expect when it was outside with no carb on for as long as I've known the fellow (6 years).

it had absolutely none.. both rings stuck solid, perhaps I can free them with some heat... but what do you expect when it was outside with no carb on for as long as I've known the fellow (6 years).

well i'd say that's a special circumstance ain't it LOL last 162 thin ring i worked on i thought had stuck rings and it did a bit but the rings never returned to normal even after cleaning everything up. it did have decent compression after the cleanup though. best way to free up stuck rings is the throw the piston in a deep fryer. my dad showed me that trick back around 98 and i've been doing it ever since. works great.

well i'd say that's a special circumstance ain't it LOL last 162 thin ring i worked on i thought had stuck rings and it did a bit but the rings never returned to normal even after cleaning everything up. it did have decent compression after the cleanup though. best way to free up stuck rings is the throw the piston in a deep fryer. my dad showed me that trick back around 98 and i've been doing it ever since. works great.

That's a good idea... I had a injection pump for an old Ford diesel that was pretty stuck, I boiled it in diesel for an hour and it freed it up nicely.. I was thinking of just heating the piston in an oven for a while might be enough to free it

That's a good idea... I had a injection pump for an old Ford diesel that was pretty stuck, I boiled it in diesel for an hour and it freed it up nicely.. I was thinking of just heating the piston in an oven for a while might be enough to free it

LOL you mean you heated it in diesel. Try boil diesel and you'll find out what a oil fire is real quick. Heck even getting it a little to warm is not a good idea.

Effrom ,you scored big,even the c/brake handle on the 64 looks good
rare!.Cant get to the gathering unfortunately but would like the 181se jug and
carb if availible for sale?do you have a c/brake side cover for a 2100 ?
the 64 is equivilent to a 288! Keith

Latest posts

Back