A little suckage perhaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i'd say that's a special circumstance ain't it LOL last 162 thin ring i worked on i thought had stuck rings and it did a bit but the rings never returned to normal even after cleaning everything up. it did have decent compression after the cleanup though. best way to free up stuck rings is the throw the piston in a deep fryer. my dad showed me that trick back around 98 and i've been doing it ever since. works great.
What kind of oil in the deep fryer - veggie, lard, canola, extra virgin olive?
Is it cool to drop the piston in with fries or does it make the piston taste funny?
Dave

What kind of oil in the deep fryer - veggie, lard, canola, extra virgin olive?
Is it cool to drop the piston in with fries or does it make the piston taste funny?
Dave

i just use the oil that's in there at the time. almost always canola. i have cooked in the fryer after putting pistons in as well LOL. piston only tastes funny if you use oil that previously had oysters cooked in it. don't get me wrong either, i love oysters but oysters and pistons don't mix at all :)

i just use the oil that's in there at the time. almost always canola. i have cooked in the fryer after putting pistons in as well LOL. piston only tastes funny if you use oil that previously had oysters cooked in it. don't get me wrong either, i love oysters but oysters and pistons don't mix at all :)
I believe youd be right,,the piston, would taste better than oysters!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing:

Effrom ,you scored big,even the c/brake handle on the 64 looks good
rare!.Cant get to the gathering unfortunately but would like the 181se jug and
carb if availible for sale?do you have a c/brake side cover for a 2100 ?
the 64 is equivilent to a 288! Keith
Too bad you can't make it.. I want to see what I can do for the 181.. if it's at all salvageable (getting the rings unstuck), If I don't need it you can have it. Don't have a carb for the 181 though. You were looking for a clutch for a 65 as well right?
I do have the chain brake cover for the 2100 but it has no handle or assembly on it... I emailed Murray, he's apparently getting back from hunting this week.. there's another fellow on here who says he's got the complete assembly.

LOL you mean you heated it in diesel. Try boil diesel and you'll find out what a oil fire is real quick. Heck even getting it a little to warm is not a good idea.

If you have a lid on it and there's no air, there's no fire.. I have a small stainless drum with a 1000W heater in the bottom, and it sat in there for a long while and after that treatment it came apart nicely.

Too bad you can't make it.. I want to see what I can do for the 181.. if it's at all salvageable (getting the rings unstuck), If I don't need it you can have it. Don't have a carb for the 181 though. You were looking for a clutch for a 65 as well right?
I do have the chain brake cover for the 2100 but it has no handle or assembly on it... I emailed Murray, he's apparently getting back from hunting this week.. there's another fellow on here who says he's got the complete assembly.
effrom .you can run a hs 208or a hs 216 on the 181s early 266 se used hs 163 I have a rebuilt one I replaced off my 162se
in favour of a 205 48o cd its yours for the 181 if needed

Yay! I got the 064AVE running... Made my own muffler, welds have something left to be desired, and I finished it at midnight last night so I didnt' feel like doing a lot of grinding on it. (Let me correct that.. I didn't do ANY grinding on it). When I ran it without the muffler, it was idling uncontrollably high, and I figured it was sucking air back into the cylinder from the missing exhaust, I was right, the idle settled down with the muffler. It sounds really nice too. When I first started it I just poured a little fuel down the carb, it fired up on the first pull.... Then I filled the fuel tank, and it took a fair bit to get it started.. Stupid thing doesn't have a fast idle.

I fixed the blown gasket on top of the oil tank with epoxy and a piece of stainless steel screen, we'll see if it leaks, I didn't feel like splitting the case and ordering a gasket.. Perhaps I'll do it sometime. The only damage I was able to find on the saw was the back of the clutch cover is cracked, and will eventually crack more and fall off.. I have one from another saw that I might be able to adapt to fit.. doesn't have the hole for the adjuster or a slot for the adjuster pin to slide in.. I think a dremel will fix that.

I have a Oregon 91DL bar that needs a nose, I think I'll put a loop of Stihl RS and a nose on it and it should be a good saw.. worth trying out at least.

Next up are the 2100's and maybe the 038.

Update... 038 runs good, coil wire is broken and hanging on by a thread though.

The 2100 that had a carb on it needed some carb tweaking, metering lever was too high and it was a bit gummed up, it'll need a new carb since I was told the old throttle shaft wore out so much it broke off.. .no problem, the throttle plate is at least good so I have another carb to put it into. Seems to run good though, a new top cover, air filter cover, and fix up the full wrap handle (broken by clutch) and it should be a good unit.. sure has compression. Oh, it'll need a new flywheel, one of the bosses for the recoil pawls is busted off.. I have a large assortment of them though, it'll be no problem.

S0 3 of the 5 saws are runners with hardly any work, the 2nd 2100 needs a lot of body parts, but will certainly run well too, and the 181.. well.. if I'm desperate, but I'll probably strip it down and pillage it

Yay! I got the 064AVE running... Made my own muffler, welds have something left to be desired, and I finished it at midnight last night so I didnt' feel like doing a lot of grinding on it. (Let me correct that.. I didn't do ANY grinding on it). When I ran it without the muffler, it was idling uncontrollably high, and I figured it was sucking air back into the cylinder from the missing exhaust, I was right, the idle settled down with the muffler. It sounds really nice too. When I first started it I just poured a little fuel down the carb, it fired up on the first pull.... Then I filled the fuel tank, and it took a fair bit to get it started.. Stupid thing doesn't have a fast idle.

I fixed the blown gasket on top of the oil tank with epoxy and a piece of stainless steel screen, we'll see if it leaks, I didn't feel like splitting the case and ordering a gasket.. Perhaps I'll do it sometime. The only damage I was able to find on the saw was the back of the clutch cover is cracked, and will eventually crack more and fall off.. I have one from another saw that I might be able to adapt to fit.. doesn't have the hole for the adjuster or a slot for the adjuster pin to slide in.. I think a dremel will fix that.

I have a Oregon 91DL bar that needs a nose, I think I'll put a loop of Stihl RS and a nose on it and it should be a good saw.. worth trying out at least.

Next up are the 2100's and maybe the 038.

prolly weld that cover, when ya find yer way down here...

064 should have fast idle - check the master control lever is in one piece and that it is actuating the carb properly.

I don't see any provision for a fast idle on the 064 which is funny, everything else about it looks fine.

Isn't that cover magnesium? And that stuff is a little tricky to weld.

Worked on my neighbor's 2100 tonight, the fuel tank seam was leaking badly, so I had another tank, turns out by the front mounts the oil tank had been patched before, and wasn't done very well, so I redid it using the same method as on the 064.. JB quik and stainless steel mesh for strength.. I'm getting good at this!

I do have a shortage of 2100 recoil spools though, seems as though the clutch pawl bolts often back out and rub on it, wearing it thin... One was completely demolished, and another is darned thin, perhaps I can save it at least for a little while with some glue for extra support.. certainly won't be a long lasting fix though.

You can tig mag just like aluminum.

Thin rings work good for racing at the higher rpm. Less flutter. They do lose tension a lot quicker than the thicker rings.

I need a TIG badly.. I see a Miller 250 amp synchrowave for $1900 cdn.. a little more than I'd like, I missed a Synchrowave 350DX that was like new for $1500 (a $9000 USD unit).. I wouldn't have cared if it was stolen at that price.. it had liquid cooled torches and internals, pulse, HF,, full digital displays.. it had it all... dangit!

yeah, I'm thinking it's a little much too... I'd rather get a newer synchrowave 200.

At my old work we had what I think was a Synchrowave 450.. that thing was MASSIVE, sure welded nice though

Latest posts

Back