A little to big

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmbeachy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
An arborist freind dropped this off for me the other day. It turns out that it is just a little to heavy for the JD to handle. I will have to split to get it up on my mill. It is Red Oak. Will post more pictures when I get to work some more on it

Just finished doing the same thing to two wateroak logs, about 38" on the small end. On one of them I split it into quarters and have started qs'ing it. Still hard to handle because it won't "roll" and has to be lifted with the cant hook to reposition. Lot's of trouble but you get lot's of very nice qs boards.

I'm slabbing the other log because it has a lot of crotch figure on one end and was about 50" dia on the big end, that and I still have this unexplainable desire to use a csm :help:. Can't explain the sic desire to hear that stihl moan :D

I'll end up resawing the slabs on the mill now that I can handle them (still 9" thick x 28" wide 8 ft long, quite a chunk of wood)

BTW, if you haven't had a chance to use any of the logrite cant hooks they are amazing. No comparison to the hickory handled types. I bought a 60" but would get the 72" if I had it to do over. That big wood is a real challenge to handle by hand to say the least.

Keep us posted.

Nice log :)

Looks like you will be needing a swingblade mill, and a bigger tractor ;)

Cheers

Ian

Just finished doing the same thing to two wateroak logs, about 38" on the small end. On one of them I split it into quarters and have started qs'ing it. Still hard to handle because it won't "roll" and has to be lifted with the cant hook to reposition. Lot's of trouble but you get lot's of very nice qs boards.

I'm slabbing the other log because it has a lot of crotch figure on one end and was about 50" dia on the big end, that and I still have this unexplainable desire to use a csm :help:. Can't explain the sic desire to hear that stihl moan :D

I'll end up resawing the slabs on the mill now that I can handle them (still 9" thick x 28" wide 8 ft long, quite a chunk of wood)

BTW, if you haven't had a chance to use any of the logrite cant hooks they are amazing. No comparison to the hickory handled types. I bought a 60" but would get the 72" if I had it to do over. That big wood is a real challenge to handle by hand to say the least.

Keep us posted.

I also have that sick desire to run the CSM and listen to the saw moan. Makes you feel like a real man when you can make it moan, LOL.

looks like it will make some good lumber when it get milled. need some weights on the front of the tractor it might help lift it.

Nice-wish I had wood like that around here. Is that JD an MT? My grandfather had one of those.

BJ. It is one model newer, it is the Model 40

BTW Lawson, what part of Delaware are you from.

Nice log lm. That should be a fun one. Looks like you got either a real deer in the upper left corner of the third pic or an archery target, nice looking place there. :D

RIX:Thats my son-in law's archery target. However, I do have deer come all the way up to the barn at night sometinmes. We see quite a few out there in the field at times.

Tryon: I hung my 230 lbs. on the front of the tractor, one time when my weight didn't make any difference.

Lawson: Do you mill, I get down your way every once in a while, would like to see your setup.

I have split the log, the tractor will just handle it now, really touch and go with it, but I am going to quarter it, can't handle it on the mill by myself otherwise. Will keep you all posted with some pics.

lmbeachy:
I'm not sure if you've seen this info so I though it might be worth posting. I'm currently giving 'method 3' a try with fairly good results. My freehand ripping wasn't near as straight as his but the boards don't know the difference :)

Midtown Logging QS Methods

You ain't pulling if the fronts are on the ground--good grief that's what split brakes are for! :hmm3grin2orange:

Of course I like to see a 30' plume of black smoke going skyward as well.:dizzy:

alright, I'll stop now. Nice JD and log too. Didn't see all the photos--dialup.

me and 3 of my buddys sat on the hood of a tow truck cuz it was pulling the front tires off the ground trying to drag a 3/4 ton chevy out of a canyon and it worked but it took a while.....:rock:

This old tractor is kinda sentimental with me, don't want to take a change on breaking some of the hydrolic lift parts. They are hard to find now days.

Back