A new project. Maybe my 359.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gafirefighter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, since the 371 that I bought runs great, it left me with nothing to work on. The saw was supposed to be my project, but other than cosmetics it appears to work great.

So I have been reading around on here trying to find out what I want to get so that I will have a real project. I considered a 272, 288, 242, and others. Don't get me wrong, I will be getting some of those when the time is right. Hopefully in the next week or two I will be able to get my new 390xp. I can not wait. I already have a plan to take it to the deer camp and cut up and move quite a bit of downed trees. Thanks for all the help on that decision.

Where does that leave me. I was reading a bunch of old threads today and it got me thinking about my 359. The new two new saws that were in my plan were a 346xp and a 357xp. I now think that I could put a little money into the 359 and make it a really nice saw. There seems to be quite a few people on here who have modded a 359 and it sounds like it really wakes it up.

I myself have never really had any problems with the saw. To me, it seems a little crazy to want to tear something down that runs so well. When the 371 came in I could not wait to open it up. Then it turned out that was not needed and I did not want to mess up a good thing.

So I think maybe I will do it. This is an older model 359 and I believe that it is pre Cat. I am not sure though and I will have to check when I get home tomorrow. If it does not have a Cat I will just mod that muffler. If it does, then I guess I will have to order a new one. Since this will be my first mod I think I will go with something simple. I will more than likely just drill the front and weld the washer on with the screen behind it. That looks pretty good to me. Then I would like to have some porting done. More than likely I will send it off for this. I do not want to have to buy a new jug. Now I just need to figure out who to send it to.

So I guess that is my plan. I have been running a 20" b/c on it, but I may back it down to an 18" since I will be running a 20" on the 371. Now I just need to pick up a few more tools so that I can do this right, and not the GA way.

This sure is an expensive hobby.

Adam

What about the 50 or 55?

If your 359 is running well why not leave it alone and mod the 50 or 55? I'm suggesting this because I recently put a new top end on a 51 and was amazed at how straightforward & simplistic that whole 50 series was desinged. The parts are easy to find and probably cheaper than the 359 parts. Besides, you have two saws (50 special& 55R) that are very similar in power & weight.

Latest posts

Back